PDA

View Full Version : Won a Bonus - chance to try a higher Limit?

Cleveland Guy
08-03-2004, 11:20 AM
I won a nice $500 bonus at Pokerroom for hitting a Royal Straight Flush of Diamonds in a ring game!!!!!

I cashed out half of the bonus, and figured I'd let the other half ride.

I usually play 5+1 and 10+1 SnG - and have an ROI of about 20% in the past month or so.

Is this a good chance to try and move up and try a few 20 +2? even if I lose 5 in a row - it doesn't really hurt my bankroll. Or should I just stick with what i know?

lawpoker
08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
how much was the bonus?

lawpoker
08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
nevermind...i'm slow.

kyro
08-03-2004, 11:47 AM
i think it depends. How do you do at the $10? Personally, I think I could succeed at the $20, but my bankroll can barely handle the $10 ones. I'm lucky I just so happen to be the best poker player in the world and hit my 2 outers on the river to knock out the final two players so it continues to grow.

I don't think there's anything wrong with experimenting. You won a lot of money, and maybe it's a decent chance to "take a shot at it" to really build your bankroll. Beware of the swings though, the last thing you need is to lose what your earnings because you got carried away "experimenting"

Cleveland Guy
08-03-2004, 12:44 PM
My ROI on both the 5 and 10's is about 20%. I have it tracked at home - but I'm at work now, so i can't remember exactly what it is for each.

I figure worst I could do is lose 6-7 in a row at the 20, realize I'm no good, and still no have hit a dent in my regular bank roll.

I play more for pleasure than for income, so I'm not worried about the time loss from not winning at the 5's and 10's. I think I'm willing to give it a shot, - just looking for any advice from others.

jedi
08-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Well, it's basically found money and it sounds like you're doing something sensible, putting half of it away and "gambling" away the other half. If you're a winning player already, this would be a good chance to try out the higher limits. The level of play probably isn't that much better, but you'll see less idiots. Set a number aside ($250 = 11 SnGs at that level) and play it out. If you lose all 11, then you're no worse than if you hadn't hit the bonus. Anything else is gravy.

stupidsucker
08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Personally I would use it to fund a SOLID 10+1 BR so you never have to go back down to the 5's. Build it up gradually and then hit the 20's.

Do you need to withdraw poker money for some reason? If not then you should always have enough devoted to stay at a certain level, and I also recomend saving half the money you withdraw for the chance to move up soon.

I see little difference between 10 and 20, and another small jump in skill to the 30. If you can maintain a 20% RoI at the 30s then you can triple your $$/hour compared to the 10s.

Making a shot at the 20s could work out very well, but playing solid at the 10s with a good bankroll and taking at shot at the 20s when you have 5-600 can be absolute gold.

theghost
08-03-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Making a shot at the 20s could work out very well, but playing solid at the 10s with a good bankroll and taking at shot at the 20s when you have 5-600 can be absolute gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is sensible advice, but why not take a couple of shots at the 20 games? Scope out the competition, get a feel for it - if you don't happen to come in in the $, then put the rest (~200) toward a solid bankroll for the 10s.