PDA

View Full Version : Darfur: Exposing Arab Goals

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
by Shlomo Avineri

The EU and the UN have finally decided to take the first timid steps to try to put an end to what it happening in Darfur in the Sudan.

The recent report by Human Rights Watch on Darfur corroborates the worst suspicions of those who have followed developments in western Sudan. There have been killings on a massive scale, expulsions, the systematic torching of villages and - last and not least - the use of rape as a weapon of intimidation and humiliation against the province's black population.

These are not just the depredations of unruly Arab militias. They are the instruments of the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum in its war against the black, non-Arab population of the province.

This is, of course, not the first time Sudan has been involved in violence against its non-Arab population. For decades the Sudanese government has been trying to suppress an insurrection of black tribes, mainly the Dingas, in the South. In that case Khartoum was trying to impose Islamic law on the Southerners, who are mainly Christians and animists.

In Darfur, those oppressed by the Sudan government are themselves Muslims. But in both cases, the Khartoum government has been engaged in oppressing and brutalizing black, non-Arab population groups.

International public opinion - obviously slow to react, as in the case of Rwanda, to a horror in a far away land, where the victims are blacks and the details appear murky - has, however, overlooked the wider context in which these actions have occurred.

One of the characteristics of Arab nationalism - epitomized in the official ideology of the Arab League - has been to view the region as exclusively Arab. Obviously, the majority of the population in the arc stretching from Morocco to Kuwait are culturally and linguistically Arab.

Yet by calling it "the Arab region," Arab nationalist discourse states not only a demographic fact but also presents a normative entitlement: In the book of mainstream Arab nationalism, there is only one legitimate nation-bearing people in the area - the Arabs.

This exclusivist, hegemonic aspect determines much of Arab politics.

Hence there is no Arab voice accepting the rights of the Kurds in northern Iraq for self-determination; hence the difficulties of Algeria in accepting the Berbers - and their language - as a legitimate political component of the country; hence the violent opposition to the attempts of the Christian Maronites to mold a slightly different identity for Lebanon; hence the angry response in Egypt when the issue of the Christian Coptic is raised. The Egyptian riposte has consistently been that there are no minorities in Egypt.

It is in this context that the deep unwillingness to accept the legitimacy of Israel has to be understood.

If any nation in Central or Eastern Europe were to maintain that it has the monopoly of being a Staats-Nation (to use a historically discredited German term), nobody would accept it - and international opinion would, justly, brand it as racist and chauvinistic.

This, however, is at the core of the belief system of Arab nationalism. The violence in Sudan - as well as the current violence in Iraq, aimed, among others, also against Kurdish autonomy - is just a more violent expression of the same pernicious thread running though dominant Arab political thinking.

No wonder the Arab League, so vociferous on other issues, has been silent.

What is happening in Darfur is much worse than what Slobodan Milosevic tried to do to the ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. Nobody wants to see the international community involved in another humanitarian war in Africa.

But the issue in Darfur is not just a need for more or quicker humanitarian aid. It is the consequence of a deep, far-reaching version of ethnocentric Arab nationalism, and it has to be robustly confronted, intellectually and politically, for what it is.

The writer is professor of political science at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Zeno
08-03-2004, 11:54 AM
This is all wrong. The current problems in the Sudan are entirely the fault of the United States. In fact, twenty years from now I predict a book will come out titled: Genocide in the Sudan: Consequences of American Hegemony and the Failure of US Foreign Policy. Published by Harvard University Press. In fact, this future book will point out that the entire North African region and all its attendant problems stem from European and United States imperialism. It will lack one important feature however – a real historical perspective.

Now, about those three Punic Wars, the Arab Conquest, the economic trade routes…

-Zeno

Knockwurst
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Thank you for a very informative post regarding the situation in Sudan. While I think your extrapolations regarding Arab nationalism are a bit overreaching, since there is a wide spectrum of beliefs reflected in Arab nationalism, ranging from theocratic fundamentalists to more moderate Islamists who seek democratization and an independence from the Western countries that are supporting the repressive regimes in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Kuwait, U.A.E., etc.

It is interesting though that you don't discuss Israel's own form of "exclusivist hegemonic" government policies, namely Zionism in the form currently being practiced by Sharon and his governing Likuid Party. Call me a wishful dreamer, but I only hope, because of the singular history of the Jewish people, that one day Israel will move beyond its current philosophy of Zionism and exclusion and be a haven for oppressed people from all over the world much like the United States is in its better moments.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Call me a wishful dreamer, but I only hope, because of the singular history of the Jewish people, that one day Israel will move beyond its current philosophy of Zionism and exclusion and be a haven for oppressed people from all over the world much like the United States is in its better moments.

I'm more inclined to dream about the day that there are no oppressed people that need havens.

As far as Zionism as exclusive, I think you gotta stop reading the anti-Zionist literature and start reading about Zionism from the Zionists (http://www.wzo.org.il/en/default.asp), as well as their early opponent, the ideologicalfather (http://www.jabotinsky.org/jaboworld.html) of the Likud.

As well, recall that Zionism in its current form has been shaped by decades of Arab rejectionism.

Knockwurst
08-03-2004, 01:14 PM
It's not that I'm reading anti-Zionist literature, unless you consider the NYT and Wash. Post anti-Zionist. It's just that I see reports of Sharon's hardline policies every day, and rue the divergence from the policies of Rabin and Barak. While I am not opposed to the wall, as long as it's reflective of the borders that were in place before Israel's incursion into the Westbank in '67 (is the year right?) and am all for Israel protecting its existence. I think Rabin's vision is more conducive to a long term peace.

By the way, I will read the links you have provided.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
fo' shizzle my ism

But seriously, good post (the original). Knockwurst has a point too, though. I think it is a bit different in Israel's case, though. Theirs is a fight for survival.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 02:07 PM
as long as it's reflective of the borders that were in place before Israel's incursion into the Westbank in '67

Well calling it an "incursion" betrays some of the misconceptions prevalent in the sensationalist media... ignoring of course the constant "incursions" by Arab terrorists from the late 19th century into Jewish towns as well as the political threats ("drive them into the sea"), sealing of trade waterways (by Egypt most notably), ejection of UN peacekeepers from the Sinai by the Egyptian military, and mobilization of Jordanian troops, tanks, and aircraft in the West Bank in the days leading up to the 67 war.

The Israeli view is that the pre-emptive strike was absolutely imperative to self-defence, and that since the perpetual state of war had not been ended before 1967, all land won in ejecting Jordanian troops from the West Bank (remembering that it is quite literally a 20 minute drive from the West Bank to Tel Aviv), the land was legally acquired in war of self-defense. That a non-autonomous group of people ("Palestinians") with no form of self-government (at the time) living there allowed Jordanian troops to use their land as a launch pad for military action against Israel is morally reprehensible and meant Israel had to treat them as enemy - which they will most happily tell you they were - despite soldiers' general benevolent attitudes at the end of the war. Most stories I've heard from Arabs were that Israeli troops provided basic necessities the Jordanians had appropriated from them, until Arafat's ultra-nationalist PLO decided they'd rather not be under Jewish control.

But that's neither here nor there.