PDA

View Full Version : Party $25 - Why you don't slow play KK

otctrader
08-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Grinding out pea pots all night until this one; had position, figured I'd see a flop against a decent sized stack. Amazingly he gives me a free ride to the turn, and makes an oversized bet which smells like a hand that isn't made. Results notwithstanding, does anyone play this differently (from my standpoint)?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

SB ($51)
BB ($22)
UTG ($26.40)
UTG+1 ($52.25)
UTG+2 ($7.25)
MP1 ($25.60)
MP2 ($22.75)
MP3 ($45.90)
CO ($44.12)
Hero ($36.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($7.50) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $33.6 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $23.60.

River: ($74.70) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $74.70

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Kc Ks (one pair, kings).
Hero shows Qc Js (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $74.70. </font>

SkippingGoat
08-03-2004, 04:51 AM
The limp on the button with QJo is ok but calling the 6xBB raise is extremely questionable. The guy showed a lot of strength out of the SB meaning he probably had AA,KK,QQ, or AK. You're screwed if you hit a Q or J against his overpair and AK won't pay you off a significant amount if you hit and he doesn't. I think you ran into one of the very few scenarios (other than flopping broadway) in which you're going to make money in a situation like this. Also, I bet the flop. An A or K on the turn is going to kill your action. Top pair, mediocre pair is simply not nearly strong enough to get tricky with. Maybe you catch a bluff by checking and a blank hits on the turn but I don't think it's worth it.

SpiderMnkE
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
I also don't like the pf call. What were you gunna do if he bet the flop... or checkraised you.

I mean.. I guess it would be an easy fold... but qjo is not a hand to call a raise with. You will always be behind pf and are likely to flop a second bester.

PokerFink
08-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I agree that you're preflop call was very loose. A raise to $3 is a pretty big raise from the SB, and is usually a sign of a very powerful hand. After that, you played the hand well. I like the check on the flop because there is a very good chance that this is a check/raise. And once you had top 2 you knew you were good, so good all-in.