PDA

View Full Version : Small Review/Report: Artichoke Joe's in San Bruno, CA

jslag
08-03-2004, 03:09 AM
I played some 3/6 at Artichoke Joe's (http://www.artichokejoes.com/) this evening. I had a very good time, made about $60 in profit for a couple hours play.

In comparison to the more popular Bay Area card room, Lucky Chances, I'd say that Artichoke Joe's is a much friendlier environment. Both the staff and players are very hospitable.

I was originally told that Joe's charged by the hour to play, but quickly found out they have the same blind/drop structure as Lucky Chances. The button is a live blind, equal to the big blind. Both the small blind and the big button blind are taken by the house on every hand, unless it is short-handed.

I have always broke even or profited with this structure, but I think it is very tough for beginners to show a profit with the extra blind on the button. I must have folded off 15-20% of my profits from a big run -- caught a very cold run of cards for 4-5 orbits ($35 alone in blinds).

I do enjoy the live B&M games more than playing online, but I still think low limit games can be much more profitable online due to the rake structure and hands per hour (multi-tabling) possible. Still though, I seem to do very well in B&Ms -- reads are very easy at the lower limits. People tend to telegraph what they're holding, and I love this aspect of the game that is missing from online play.

I was told Joe's would be a bit softer game than Lucky Chances, but I found them to be about even in terms of the looseness of the game. Joe's does have fewer tables, but the environment makes it a more worthwhile destination for me than Lucky Chances.

I personally plan to play 6/12 at Joe's next time I go. I'd recommend the place to any decently experienced low limit players. It's only about a 10-15 minute drive from San Francisco (close to the airport off 101).

My tip to those that play the 3/6 at Joe's: Value Bet, Value Bet, Value Bet. TPTK can be very powerful there. Players love to call with their busted gutshots, flush draws, and bottom/middle pair.

Ed Miller's new book heavily applies to the games at Joe's.

Good Luck,

/images/graemlins/spade.gif jslag /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Ed Miller
08-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Artichoke Joe's rules.

potato
08-03-2004, 06:56 PM
You might be surprised to find that the 15 game there doesn't play too differently, depending on what time you're there.

M2d
08-03-2004, 07:35 PM
just got back from there (I sometimes eat lunch there and play for a little while) and the 15 was great. it swung between loose and passive to ram-jam, with a couple players in there driving the action. lots of suckouts and payoffs with bad hands all around the table.

jslag
08-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Really... interesting. I don't know that my bankroll can handle 15/30 yet. I think I'll try 6/12 a few times there first. If I'm grossly successful at that level then perhaps I'll take a shot at 15/30.

Now that you guys mention it, there was a pretty mediocre player at my 3/6 table last night that moved to the higher limits -- I should have followed him. Playing junk like 42o in early position.

potato
08-03-2004, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that you guys mention it, there was a pretty mediocre player at my 3/6 table last night that moved to the higher limits -- I should have followed him. Playing junk like 42o in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of morons in the 15 there, but just some general advice: even good higher-limit players will often screw around a lot if they are just sitting in a low limit game waiting for a seat.

I know I do.

M2d
08-04-2004, 11:31 AM
another note
if you judge a player's ability by the cards he/she turns over, you could be in for a rude awakening. There are a couple of people in that 15 game at AJ's that will sometimes play some funky cards, but whom are excellent readers and play very well after the flop.

SheridanCat
08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I played the 15 game last week and found the loose/passive to loose/aggressive swings mentioned. It was delicious and fun.

Regards,

T

Ulysses
08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Artichoke Joe's rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does.

Boris
08-04-2004, 06:14 PM
AJ's is my favorite Bay Area card room even though I don't play there much anymore. I don't understand why they can't get more higher limit action at that place. They have the best dealers, the best atmosphere and the best food value.

The one downside is the floor staff can be down right rude to the players. John is hands down the worst floor man in the bay area. Some of the old timers don't like Marvin but I've always got along fine with him.