PDA

View Full Version : Party 1/2 help! This isn't like the 0.50/1 I remember...

DeathDonkey
08-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone,

Took a shot at a Party 1/2 bad beat jackpot table over the weekend to see how different it is from the 0.50/1 games I am used to, and to decide if I want to be spending alot of time there or wait awhile longer.

I thought for the most part it wasn't too bad, a bit tighter, some opponents markedly more aggressive, and others extraordinarily weak; both types easy to identify and categorize. I saw some horrible play but the overriding weak-tightness kept this particular table from being hugely profitable (with the play style I currently possess and am aware of...)

One particular situation gave me alot of trouble. This happened a few times where I would play the way I do at 0.50/1 and saw dramatically different results. An example situation is I had JTs in the big blind, an UTG raised and there were 2 callers, I call to close the action.

Flop comes Jxy rainbow giving me top pair medium/crappy kicker. At 0.50/1 I make money on these flops all day from opponents chasing with a pair of x, y, or crazy backdoor draws. Here, it seems I either don't make much (if I have the best hand), or lose alot to see UTG raised with QQ, KK, AA, etc.

What is a good line to take on a flop like this? I like to bet into the raiser to let him raise and clear the field, as he will with two big cards no pair most of the time. Of course, he will also raise with an overpair and I am in big trouble at this point. So is that horrible to begin with?

What after that? Say that gets us heads up...3 bet? Check/call down? Fold? C/R turn? So many options but I'm not used to flopping top pair and trailing in the hand. Clearly I need a lot of work playing against decent opponents, but any helpful advice on these situations would be greatly appreciated. Is this just a function of the call preflop, and after that I am pretty much forced to get to showdown? Maybe this is just some short term results and I'm playing these hands ok?

-DeathDonkey

bobdibble
08-03-2004, 03:30 AM
Bisonbison is going to ask you to post a specific hand.

ElSapo
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
First off, short-term results are very possibly behind the change. The play at .5/1 is a little different than 1/2, but the bad beat tables play very close to the same. Point being, I don't think you're seeing a huge influx of tight UTG raisers.

I like the call pre-flop if you have a few other players, otherwise just fold JTs if it's going to be HU or maybe three-way. Taking Jack-high into a shorthanded raised pot is no fun, no matter how pretty it looks.

I don't think you're necessarily committed to a showdown if you can get a read on the UTG guy. One issue is that at these tables if you three-bet pre-flop or bet the turn many players will simply call with their overpair. So passive play will limit the amount you stand to lose when you are behind.

Helps to have a line on the players, but frankly I never do.

Vern
08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
The jackpot tables are just a little different in that players seem to play more pocket pairs for cold calls pre-flop and call pocket pairs with three overcalls and action on the flop. Also, I have found many more table coaches on these tables which adds to the entertainment value. The only down side is that only Party players can play them, the other clients for the common tables cannot, so no empire or other players but that is not all bad. On average the jackpot tables are looser and more aggressive, prime hunting ground for a TAG approach.

DeathDonkey
08-03-2004, 10:55 AM
One thing I noticed right away was how many opponents overvalued pocket pairs - all pocket pairs. I got 3 bet on the flop and turn by an unimproved 44 against my TPTK and then I just called it down. Needless to say, he made my buddy list! I often saw aggressive play with pocket pairs that made the 2nd or 3rd pair after the flop, but very passive play with flopped 2nd or 3rd pairs, if that makes any sense. Its like, "if I have a pair in my hand instead of making one on the board, its worth double!"

-DeathDonkey

easypete
08-03-2004, 10:55 AM
I would advise all 2+2er's to stay away from the bad-beat tables for one reason.

1. I play there, and I want them all to myself. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Once they start raking for the jackpot... I'm outta there and you can have them.

These tables are great. Bunch of cold-calling (anything that could possibly make a straight flush or quads). You get drawn out a lot, but in the long run... good money there.

I tend not to play them on Sundays and Mondays... for some reason (I think the habit of football... Go chiefs), they just play tough. Only a couple fish and a lot of TPPs and TAPs.

ElSapo
08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah, these tables are great for one reason -- it's taken the loose 1/2 players who otherwise would be gambling at 6-max tables and given them a reason to play full table.

I imagine the games will remain good once they begin raking it extra, but I don't know if the overlay is enough to compensate.

Of course, there's good 1/2 games anyways.