PDA

View Full Version : reliable tell at Party low limit NL?

DrewOnTilt
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before - searched but did not find it.

I have noticed that many Party $25 NL players will go allin with just about any pair or any king or ace when they are down to a short stack. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just imagining things? How reliable is this "tell"? Obviously, if I have a read on the guy as a good player who is just having a bad night, I won't call unless my hand is good, but for the average Party $25 NL player I am tempted to call with any hand 88 or better.

SuitedSixes
08-03-2004, 12:40 AM
I don't know if it is a reliable "tell" or not, but I have noticed the same things as you. I ran into this three times last night when I had 88,99,and TT. The raiser was always below $6 and was making a desperation steal/raise. The three hands I was up against were KQo, A4o, and A8o.

unagi
08-03-2004, 02:31 AM
i've just started playing short-handed, but seem to notice this a lot at shorthanded tables and have had to loosen up slightly. also, if i know i will be the only caller, i tend to loosen up my calling requirements against the extremely short stacks (unless i consider them very solid, for whatever reason or basis).. i'm not sure if my logic is right, but i like to think that it gives me a looser table image (considering that i'm typically very tight-aggressive), while i still often have not too terrible of a chance of winning (not saying i get extremely loose, but will often call a $5 raise all-in preflop if i'm the last (and only) to call with something like AQo, AJs, middle pockets, etc). i'm not saying this play is right, but it's something that i've been starting to do in the past. it's been working okay so far, but this has been short term good results and i can't vouch for how it will run in the long-term.