PDA

View Full Version : The end is near.......

Boris
08-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Looks like my current gravy train (job) might come to a screeching halt due to forces beyond my control. Worst case scenario is things go completely belly up in 4 months. Best case is everything continues to cruise along and this latest challenge is just a bump in the road.

In either case it's probably time for me to move on. So what I need from the collective brilliance on this board is job hunting tips. I already know about tapping your professional networks and friends. I have to do this very discreetly at this point as I am still working. At the same time I might be "damaged goods" if I wait until my firm actually goes under.

So any helpful experiences you've had might give me some good ideas.

Oski
08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
You might want to expand on what you "do" and what you are looking for.

Zeno
08-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Sorry to hear that things are bumpy. With at least four months of buffer you might try sending out your resume or feelers to 'long-shot firms or businesses' etc. right now. This will help with getting a feel for the job market or opportunties, get you square on resume building and presentation, and you may actually get lucky, if not, the information you glean may be very helpful down the road.

If you have a nest egg then want for as long as necessary before jumping ship, if it comes to that. Would quiting just before the deck hits the water line be OK, or is the 'damaged goods' label a sentence into hell?

Could you start your own business? Just a thought.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

-Zeno

ClarkNasty
08-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Rule #1 is that it's better to get out too early than too late.

astroglide
08-03-2004, 01:29 AM
echoing: You might want to expand on what you "do" and what you are looking for.

Ulysses
08-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Line up a tentative consulting gig w/ someone that you could start as soon as it's decided (by you, them, or circumstance) that you're moving on and are ready to do something. Then worry about longer-term employ during or after the consulting gig.

ThaSaltCracka
08-03-2004, 02:26 AM
sign up with a headhunter who will look for jobs for you, and will essentially sell you to employers. It costs money, but I have heard it is worth it if you can afford it.

adios
08-03-2004, 02:31 AM
A lot of good advice posted already. If your place goes belly up will you get a severance package? If so might want to negotiate now for what the final package will be. Perhaps if you left now they'd make you a better deal than if you stayed on. Come back in about a month and see if they survived and offer your services as a consultant maybe on a part time basis if necessary.

Phat Mack
08-03-2004, 07:03 AM
I like this advice. If it goes belly up in four months, there might not be any money for severance, but if you offer them an out now, they might give up some change to reduce their fixed costs. Just a thought. Been there...

Good Luck

Lottery Larry
08-03-2004, 09:53 AM
what kind of "job" are you talking about here?

moondogg
08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
When a company I worked for was about to tank, they offered me (and everyone else) the everything under the sun to stay on for a little while longer. The problem was that they were damn near broke. If the ship is sinking, you have to consider how likely it is that they will actually be able to afford whatever they promise you. If the are dot-com-ing themselves to death, chances are they won't be able to.

Ray Zee
08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
use this time to find where you want to work next. then get to know the people that will make the decision on you. sending a piece of paper is not the way to go. just the easy way. spend the time and they will see that you are determined to work there and not just looking for a parking place. or come home to montana and get one of the new jobs at the checkout at loews.

ClarkNasty
08-03-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sign up with a headhunter who will look for jobs for you, and will essentially sell you to employers. It costs money, but I have heard it is worth it if you can afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on his occupation, many headhunters are free. The company that ends up hiring you pays the fee.

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm a finance guy/middle management type guy.

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:45 AM
I'd like to start my own business but I can't think of any good ideas.

I'm not sure about the damaged goods lable but it always seemed to me that it's easier to find a job when you already have one.

ThaSaltCracka
08-03-2004, 11:48 AM
I did not know that, thanks for the clarification!

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes I could try that. Here in the Silicon Valley though "consulting" is often times a euphamism for unemployed, unless you happen to be an engineer.

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
good idea.

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
The severance package could be tough. Might be worth a shot though.

Boris
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
If I come back to Montana I'm banking on Ed getting me job at the post office. It probably pays more than Loews and I get to work outside.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised this isn't a "what are my shots at turning pro" kind of thread. I'm sorry I can't offer much help for your position (I'm a young engineer and don't really know your field), but I wish you luck. I know the situation sucks.

Boris
08-03-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't think the situation sucks. I've been wanting a change of scenery for awhile but the switching costs were too high. This just motivate me. I might actually try my hand at playing poker to support myself during the transition period.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the situation sucks. I've been wanting a change of scenery for awhile but the switching costs were too high. This just motivate me. I might actually try my hand at playing poker to support myself during the transition period.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like your outlook.

natedogg
08-04-2004, 08:30 PM
I have one word for you: Plastics.

natedogg