PDA

View Full Version : Aleo Spreadsheet Mod, Excel function question

Jurollo
08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok so I am in the stages of adding an automatic Daily record worksheet to Aleo's great spreadsheet. Right now I have the capacity up to 750 entries and have been trying to figure out an automatic function to sort of daily results. Currently I have made formulas to count up everything, but the only hitch is that you have to manually enter the date into the SUMIF function rather than possibly having it taken directly from a cell on the sheet. Right now my formula is =SUMIF(Data!$B$15:$B$758, "1-Aug", Data!J$15:J$758) "1-Aug" being the part I would like to make automatic by referencing a date cell on the sheet. Anyway to reference cells as the value in a SUMIF function?

BradleyT
08-02-2004, 09:45 PM
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/sumif.htm

That shows a cell being used.

Jurollo
08-02-2004, 09:57 PM
That doesnt work for me for some reason, it may be because the cells in my range are from a different sheet in the workbook as well as those I am summing.

JayCo
08-02-2004, 10:24 PM
You might also be able to make use of Excel's array formulas and/or Pivot Tables.

e.g.: "=SUM(if($a1=b1:b100,c1:c100,0))" will add up all the values in column C when the column B matches cell A1

The trick with array formulas is that you need to hit Crtl+Shift+Enter when you enter them. If you see "{"
and "}" brackets before & after a formula, it's an array formula.

(Excel help goes into more detail.)

J