PDA

View Full Version : Calling an EP raise in the BB

Entity
08-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Here's a question I've been troubled with for a while. Situations arise occasionally where I'm in the BB with the sort of hand I like to have as the BB -- QJo, JTo, etc. Good multiway hands, but not hands I really want to raise or play hard.

In a situation where EP raises, how many callers do I ideally want to have before I'll have sufficient odds to call, given my horrible position?

The last hand I played, I was getting 7:1 on my call holding QJo and decided to play. Is this too loose? Should this hand just hit the muck?

-----

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Mikie
08-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Calling 1SB here is ok being that you have 4 callers and you close the betting. (Cant be re-raised) After the flop, I wouldnt be too confident with top pair after the raise, although you didnt get any agression to your bets. The river I'd check call.

Entity
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling 1BB here is ok being that you have 4 callers and you close the betting. (Cant be re-raised) After the flop, I wouldnt be too confident with top pair after the raise, although you didnt get any agression to your bets. The river I'd check call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, UTG+2 turned over T6 for trips. Hard to read when you aren't getting anything but calls.

Rob

Mikie
08-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes the calls would concern me a bit. Id be concerned someone has KQ or AK. Either way that river cant be good.

Entity
08-02-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes the calls would concern me a bit. Id be concerned someone has KQ or AK. Either way that river cant be good.

[/ QUOTE ]
To assume KQ or AK is definitely MUBS to me. No one has shown any aggression; I would look for a raise from a good hand, which they haven't.

Rob

Mikie
08-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes thats true but you have to consider what UTG might be raising with EP. Your best hope is JJ.

PS: What does MUBS stand for?

Entity
08-02-2004, 08:15 PM
MUBS = Monsters under the bed syndrome.

I don't have much of a read on EP or UTG+2, but I think planning to check/call here is weak-tight at best.

Would certainly appreciate comments from others about whether I played this too hard.

Rob