PDA

View Full Version : When to move up

Mikie
08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I know about the 300BB rule but when should you really move up? I found a post about this a while ago but cant seem to find it.

My question is basically, how many:
-Hours
-Hands
should be played at your current limit before moving up once you have 300BB for the next level.

Aviston
08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Well, if 300 BB isn't the only factor, I suppose the next factor would be the number of hands played. I think a general rule of thumb is around 10k hands. Which of course makes a certain amount of sense, 10,000 * 3 BB/100 = 300 BB /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Mikie
08-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Good point but my BB/100 is only 2.4 /images/graemlins/blush.gif
Should there be any attention made to the amount of actual hours played?

Vern
08-02-2004, 07:38 PM
If you are comfortable at your current level and your bankroll is sound, start by trying the next limit up just for a session, then review and see what if anything was different. Don't jump multiple levels since even if bankroll size is not be a concern, the psychology of it it can be more subtle. If you play .5/1 and suffer a 25BB downswing, you are down $25, playing 3/6 and you are looking at $150. Move up when you are comfortable, if you are happy and making money while having fun no one says you have to either. Oh, and all levels have differences, some small, some large, so getting comfortable at a new level should be your primary concern and there is no set number of hands that happens after.