PDA

View Full Version : 99 from SB, HU with the BB

JudgeRW
08-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Silly to raise when bet into here?

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9h 9c (three of a kind, nines).
BB shows Qc Tc (straight, queen high).
Outcome: BB wins 13 BB. </font>

ChromePony
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
It looks good to me until the river, I still lead out but with when BB comes alive with a raise on that board you gotta think you're beat by the straight. I would still call down, but not 3-bet.

Moozh
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't three-bet. Given that board, it's very unlikely that the 9 was good for you.

Let's look at the scenarios where the villan does or does not have the straight and you three-bet instaed of call.

If he does not, he probably doesn't raise the river. Also, when you three-bet, there is no way he'll cap it. Thus, in this already unlikely situation, you're looking to gain one extra bet (he calls your three-bet and you win).

If he does have it (and his first raise is hinting that he does), then he'll automatically cap it back to you. Here, you lose two bets (assuming you call his cap).

So, you either win one bet or lose two when you three-bet the river. Thus, you need to be 67% sure that you are ahead on the river to make this a break even play. I don't think you have that level of confidence here.

purnell
08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I haven't looked yet, but I'm guessing BB hit his straight. Oh, well, you have to call him down, but I don't think three-betting is a good idea in this spot. Otherwise, good play. IMHO.