PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this hand too fast?

woodguy
08-02-2004, 06:07 PM
I think I have a tendency to play very good hands too fast and not get full value.

I still think it is better to win a small pot than lose a big one, but I think I may have played too fast here.

UTG had shown good aggressive play up to this point.

Your opinions please. (bets are a close approximation as I deleted the HH before deciding to post)

Party $50+$5
BB=30

UTG has T1300...I have T1200

I am in the BB with K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG min raises, 1 caller in MP, folded to me I make it 150 to go

UTG raises it to 210 to go

MP folds

I call, 495 in the pot

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet 495, BB uses almost all of his time and folds.

I thought that after 2 min raises that UTG might have AA, that is why I didn't push PF, was this wrong?

Still thinking UTG might have AA I figure the only way I find out is a pot sized bet. He had re-raised weak bets on previous hands, and I wanted to know where I stood.

I wasn't too worried about the flush with him raising twice and the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif on board, but I still never like to see 2 to a flush when I'm holding a set.

I was also thinking I didn't want to go broke on this hand as the table was very weak-tight and I figured if I had to fold I had a good chance to still finish ITM.

Was my play sub-optimal?

Feel free to flame if you want too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

regards,
woodguy

side note: UTG went on to win this SnG, I took 2nd after having his A2o out draw my AKo when we were HU and I had a slight chip advantage. (cards happen /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

adanthar
08-02-2004, 11:13 PM
He minreraised you PF. He's almost certainly going to bet the flop if you let him.

Either CR him on the flop or turn. If he has AK, all the money's going in anyway, but you'll get more out of QQ-TT this way.

Edit: Finding out whether he has AA or not is worthless because you're not folding a set of kings.

woodguy
08-03-2004, 12:33 PM
adanthar,

Good advice.

You're right, I'm not laying this down so I should give him some rope to hang himself with. (or hanging myself if he has the set of A's)

I seem to have left the check/raise in my limit toolbox as I rarely use it in NL, but this is a situation that calls for it, so I better put it in my NL toolbox as well.

thanks,
woodguy

Cleveland Guy
08-03-2004, 12:53 PM
I like the pot sized bet right off the flop.

If he is holding Q-J, or 2 hearts why give him the free card.

The only thing he is going to play back with here is and Ace. So I think it's a good bet, and if he had AK, AQ he would have called.