PDA

View Full Version : A-A vs. Button Raiser

Macedon
08-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Imagine the following scenario:
/images/graemlins/spade.gifYou are sitting at a table that is categorized as typical (not too tight or loose, nor too aggressive or passive).
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifIt is a no-limit game with the blinds at $2 and $4.
/images/graemlins/heart.gifYou are UTG and you get dealt pocket Aces.
/images/graemlins/club.gifSince you are not feeling like pulling any fancy moves, you decide to Limp-Raise with your pocket aces.

Everyone folds except for the Button who raises it up $12.
The blinds fold.
It is now up to you?
What should you do?

Now if you follow the Limp-Reraise plan, then the decision is a no-brainer. You gave your opponent the opportunity to put money into the pot and now you should raise it up so as to get them to commit some more (or fold).

If they have a made hand (pocket 10's through Kings) they might invest MORE money in the pot. If they are playing a drawing hand, they would no longer have the correct odds to play and will most likely release their hand. If they put you on a bluff, you just might take down the biggest pot of the game.

So Limp-Reraising is the most obvious play for a person holding A-A in early position.

However, your goal is always to win the most amount of money possible, and not necessarily to rush a monster hand against a POSSIBLY weak opponent.

A late position raise could mean many things, but all too often it is an effort by a player to pick up a pot uncontested. Your opponent on the button could be playing any two cards. He/She could be holding a made hand, a drawing hand, or jack shiat. A button raise could mean weakness.

Knowing this, wouldn't it be smarter to slowplay your aces (heads-up) against a button raise? Wouldn't it be smarter to call the raise rather than re-raise? Isn't the obvious play (limp-reraising) lessen the chances of you taking down a much bigger pot? Isn't the real risk that you chase out a potentially weak player who would possibly release more chips on later stages (turn/river?)?

Any thoughts?

Peter Harris
08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
if the button raises it to $12, you must have openraised. How else can they put 3 bets in if you limp and rest fold?

So:

1) if you openraised, cap it.
2) if you limp and button raised to $8, then whilst a limp-reraise belies a big hand (AA/KK), i doubt many would fold for one more bet. However, i'd like to give them a chance, as money won uncontested is always nice. If they call, they're drawing thin.

Knowing this, i mix my play up, limpreraising ONLY when an aggressive table will 100% guarantee a 3-bet. The rest of the time i openraise. After all, if i raise 7-9% of my hands, when do i have aces??

Regards,
Pete Harris

BaronVonCP
08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
No limit game.

BaronVonCP
08-02-2004, 05:18 PM
I think it depends greatly on your postflop skill level in relation to your opponent. If you are likely to put too much money in with the worst hand after the flop, just raise and go on to the next hand.

Macedon
08-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Baron,

I agree...to a point. Your skill post-flop should determine if you are up for a slowplay move.

But overall, raising a Late Position player in a heads-up situation seems such a weak tactic.

The fact that he raised 3 times the blind with only one obvious opponent (that is, UTG) is suspicious. If you had a great hand, surely you wouldn't blow out opponents, especially from that optimal position. You would want to draw in the blinds.

Vollycat
08-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Beyond trying to change gears and mix up your opponents, reraise it and get the money now.

eagletmr
08-02-2004, 10:26 PM
I also agree with this comment. Here are some questions you must ask yourself.

1) Does this button raiser steal often, if so, he is more likely to be on a steal and fold to your re-raise, however, if he is on a steal, you likely won't get any more money out of him anyways if he misses, so go ahead and re-raise, unless. . . .

2) Does he overplay his hands? If so, he is more likely to try one more steal if you check to him on the flop, and you can get more money. This can be dangerous, however.

If he is unlikely to steal without a strong hand like 10 - KK, and AK, a re-raise will also be affective.

exist
08-03-2004, 12:31 AM
STACK SIZES PEOPLE!!! STACK SIZES!!!

HajiShirazu
08-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Exactly. I don't even play NL much and this immediately came to mind.

Macedon
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
My original question was meant to be a general one. It was meant to provoke thought on a possible tactic; hence, I was trying to avoid getting too specific (stack amounts, player profiles, etc).

I agree with the premise....When you are deciding whether to raise or call, you must employ all the information at your disposal and an opponents stack amount can be a determinant factor in why an opponents raises or calls in a certain position.

All other things being equal, how does one play a monster hand like A-A against a late position raise.

/images/graemlins/spade.gifDo you give your opponent a chance to make a pair, or a straight/flush draw if you sense weakness?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDo you draw your opponent in with the one hand that can stand some pressure?
/images/graemlins/heart.gifOr do you do the safe play and go for the return knockout punch?

Maybe these questions fall under poker theory (made hand vs drawing hands; poker is a fight over the blinds; poker is a game of manipulation, etc...).

Whatever the case may be, I still feel that going up against a late position raiser presents a special case scenario. Perhaps the typical play is the least correct. That's all I am saying....

snowgurts
08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
When you're sitting on pocket As and there has been no flop yet, you obviously have the nuts. If it is only you and the button raiser, you know you have a better hand than them. You reraise and reraise until someone is all-in or they fold. You don't want to let them in because you already have a good chunk of money there and you don't want them to get really lucky and outdraw you (say they have pocket Ks and the flop is K K 10) so you make it as expensive as you can to get to the flop. Also, keep in mind trying to juice money from just one person is a bad idea. You won't be able to juice enough to make limping worth it. However, if say the blinds are still in the game, you might only call. There is enough money to juice to risk being out-drawn.

Dov
08-03-2004, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you are not feeling like pulling any fancy moves, you decide to Limp-Raise with your pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you weren't pulling any fancy moves. How about an opening raise about 3x the BB. Then you can reraise all in when the button pops you.