PDA

View Full Version : A change of pace. POT LIMIT STUD! Rate my play!!!!!

bunky9590
08-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Look it not much different. Smae pot limit calculationms that you make in holdem its just STUD!

Game was super juicy everybody calling all bets til 5th street and most going too far with certain losers.(Until I sat down, Boooooo) I had to sit anyway.

PL STUD .25 ante .50 force/pot limit betting (6 handed)

Hand 1:
Bunky is dealt (4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif) 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Low card 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif brings it in for .50, 2 folds to me, I pot raise with a 3 and T up card behind me as well as the bring in. the 3 folds, the T calls, the bring in folds.

Next cards pairs the T for the villian, and open pairs the nine for me. Villian pots it , I fold.

Hand 2:
Same villian from the other hand.
Bunky has (3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif) T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Low card (XX) 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (villain brings it in for .50) folded to Bunky.
Bunky pot raises to 3.00. Villian calls.

4th street:
Bunky (3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif) T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villian (XX) 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bunky bets 4, villian calls.

5th street: Bunky catches the 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, villain catches the A /images/graemlins/club.gif
Bunky bets 8, villian thinks and calls.

6th street: Bunky catches the lovely 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Villain catches the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bunky bets 10, Villian Raises to 30, Bunky smooth calls.

River (Brinck for Bunky I'm made already) Bunky checks, Villian bets 20, Bunky repots it all in for an additional 65. Villian who has me covered insta calls.

How'd I do?

The Ocho
08-02-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm just whinging this (not much of a stud player) but i think...

1) nice fold. Villian doesn't care you paired your doorcard. This would worry me too.

2) should have potted 4th street.

bunky9590
08-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks Ocho.

I know PL Stud is not played in the states often, but this will help you think about pot limit strategies in another form of poker than holdem. Hey Maybe you might find there are other games than Hold'em where the fish are even fishier.

bunky9590
08-02-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) nice fold. Villian doesn't care you paired your doorcard. This would worry me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put him on trip tens but I sure can safely put him on two pair better than mine. I'm either a small favorite or a big dog, hence the fold.

He could be just testing me but I'm not calling a pot sized bet with nines up against a board of TT staring me in the face.

[ QUOTE ]
2) should have potted 4th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt a half pot bet would give him the urge to call. Even if he had 4 diamonds and tried for a free card raise on 4th its okay. I'm still the Fave with the best hand.

I like a half pot bet better. Might tie him along to the pot. Also keeps the pot a bit smaller if he does hit a 3rd diamond showing on 5th and I dont fill.

bunky9590
08-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Explain to me the rationale behind potting 4th street. Wouldn't you want to play a big pot with concealed trips and show the true strength of your hand on 5th when hes likely tied onto his flush draw and can't get away from it?

gomberg
08-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Nice post - I've played PL stud once, and it was super fun - the pots get sort of big, and you can actually use that advice from reuben / ciaffone on PL stud /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 1, I like the fold, although a raise wouldn't be a horrible play if you fold after that (sort of a bluff, but he should fold TTs up if you do raise there).

Hand 2, looks good to me.

What kind of stack sizes were you playing with? Just curious

The Ocho
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
again, I'd like to preface this by the fact that I have no idea what I'm talking about when its comes to stud... let alone PL stud.

I say pot 4th so that you give him 2-1 to draw to his flush, especially if you say he's probably gonna call anyways. I like the idea of disguising hand strength but what if catches a diamond on 5th and pots it? Seems to me you'd be put in a bad situation. Also, could he really put you on trips here anyways? I say keep potting it on 4th, 5th, 6th unless he hits a diamond. Give him 2-1 to see each card.

Again, I'm most likely way off base here, but that was my first thought when I saw the hand.

bunky9590
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
You can make a case for potting it on 4th and such.

The half pot on fourth gave him 3:1 on the call and even if I potted it at 2:1 he's still only slightly worse than even money to hit the flush by the river. The half pot still gets me $$ in with the best hand but manipulates the pot size to where the pot bet on 5th if he does hit the diamond can't be as big as if I potted it.

In PL Stud I like to really hit my hand before dumping a bunch of chips in and manipulate the pot size because the seventh card is concealed.

The Ocho
08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
My thought is that you are giving him only 2-1 for each card, so that each time he has to call that bet he is making a pretty large mistake. Overall, he'll be even money, but each time he has to call that bet he is making a mistake that on each street is getting progressively worse and more costly.

Does that make any sense at all?

bunky9590
08-03-2004, 09:58 AM
I can't believe that only one person responded to this.

bunky9590
08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
I show the obvious winner with the boat to opponents A high flush.

Pretty standard though right? Anyone else reraise on 6th street?

Wayfare
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Why not just push the river? He isn't folding his flush getting 2-1 is he?

Glad you had the monster of stud, hidden boats are niiice.

BTW, I wish you had been there for a crazy game of scully deep-stacks no limit high low split stud -- and it was DECLARE!

When I go back to school, we gotta bring this game back!

bunky9590
08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I set him up with the smooth call on sixth street of the raise to value bet the river, he did I pushed. (but no, I doubt hes folding a flush to my board) So I dont it makes too much difference if I push on 6th or not. I wanted him to double me up so I set him up for the river push.

That sounds like the old tower game I heard so much about. Sick sick people. I'll have to make a trip back up once school starts. Shoot me a PM when everyone gets settled in.

Wayfare
08-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah, my post was trying to say that I really like the smooth call on 6th street. Let him make his flush and you are guaranteed a double through.

edtost
08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
but every time we tried to switch to pot limit split stud, all the fish left, so i was the only one feeding the table.