PDA

View Full Version : Logic Puzzle #3

AndysDaddy
08-02-2004, 02:49 PM
As long as we're posting well known logic puzzles that tend to incite furious debate on both sides, how about this one:

You are a contestant on Monty Hall's "Let's Make a Deal". You are shown three doors. Behind one door is a new car. Behind the other two are an old goat and a one-time supply of Turtle Wax. You pick a door to be your prize. Just before opening the door to show you what you've won, Monty says: "Lets show you what you didn't win!" and opens one of the other doors, revealing the goat. In true LMAD fasion he then offers you the chance to switch your original door choice with the one remaining (un-revealed, un-chosen) door. Assuming you want to win the car, what is your best course of action here?

Language clarification that kind of gives away the answer below in white:
<font color="white"> Since this is Monty's show he knows full well where the car is hidden and would never open that door when showing you what you didn't win.</font>

My best example of why the correct answer is correct below, also in white:
<font color="white">What if there were 100 doors and after you picked one Monty opened up 98 of the remaining 99 doors, each revealing a booby prize? Would you like to switch to the one unopened, unchosen door now?</font>

daryn
08-02-2004, 03:20 PM
not sure, but i think i've heard this one before.

Ulysses
08-02-2004, 03:33 PM
It's like that movie Groundhog Day.

jwvdcw
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
lol...This was my logic/math question #1

AndysDaddy
08-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Rats. That's what I get for not doing my homework before a post! /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jdl22
08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I think the best way to see this is to have way more doors. Say 10,000 doors. Then Monte shows you 9998 sheep and you are asked if you want to switch.

Any thoughts Daryn?

daryn
08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I think the best way to see this is to have way more doors. Say 10,000 doors. Then Monte shows you 9998 sheep and you are asked if you want to switch.

Any thoughts Daryn?

[/ QUOTE ]

fuckit, i don't buy it.

pudley4
08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts Daryn?

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if daryn really likes sheep???

/images/graemlins/grin.gif