PDA

View Full Version : I have a curse!! Anyone suffer this?

magithighs
08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
I think I have a curse on me.

Check this out:

Pokerstars 2/4 6 handed -- midnight to 3:00 am, and 10-12am

AA-3 (19) -- lost to 82 (well it was suited!)
AKs-1 (18) -- lost to t4o and Q4o
AKo-3 (30) -- lost to J3o (flop KJ7 -- i raise pre-and on the flop - river brings a 3
AQs-1 (8)
AQo-1 (14)
AJs-1 (2)
AJo-3 (15) -- lost to A4 with a 4 on the river -- lots of betting, pre & flop
ATs-2 (38) -- lost to A5o with the 5 on the river
ATo-2 2 -- woo whoo a postive hand
A9o-3 (4)
A8s-4 (22) -- nothing of note, but this still sucks
A7s-2 22 -- woo whoo, good thing I became a calling station on the river bluff

Well there's more, but this is just plain ridiculous.

No wonder why novice players think they should start playing junk.

Anyone suffer this bad of a short run? I know the answer is yes, but I had to share this craziness as I think it's quite funny.

SpaceAce
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
This stuff is common place. I had a fantastic run of cards the day before yesterday, getting AA four times, KK four or five times, QQ four or five times and JJ five times and I lost every single one except for an AA that picked up the blinds. I lost AA to KK, AA to J4o, QQ to 9Q and so on. If you look in the odds forum, there is an old post by me where I discussed having had 17 consecutive AA hands cracked without a single winner.

Losing to players you had an astronomical edge over pre-flop (or on the flop or on the turn) is just part of the game. I know that doesn't make you feel better but it's true. I flopped a set of Kings the other day and the only other player in the pot, who cold-called three bets to play QTs, flopped a straight flush. Several months ago I flopped quad sixes on PartyPoker and got rivered by quad nines. There's nothing you can do but grin and bear it. If you get upset or scared, you will just lose more. As long as you make good decisions and your opponents make poor ones, you'll get the money in the end.

SpaceAce

Alobar
08-02-2004, 07:42 PM
I had this same problem. I went to the convience store, bought a bag of candy and then went to a grade school and picked up on a young virgin (hey little girl....want some candy??). After sacrificing her to the poker gods, I now get dealt AA every other hand and it holds up 96.7563541% of the time.

kiddo
08-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Armstrong was to good this year. Or if the others were 2 bad. Not once did they make him suffer for real.

magithighs
08-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Well, I didn't go quite that far. I went to the local farm, picked up a live chicken and had a sacrifce in the backyard. Then, I went to Party Poker and played the 1/2 game. Things are better now!

magithighs
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. Totally understand that anomalies are commonplace. What I found striking is that these were the very top hands -- Group 1 & 2, all played with positional requirements factored in. And, I didn't stupidly hand over my money when I knew I was beat -- yes, many crying calls, but how can you fold when a 3 hits the river with no str8 or flush possiblities.

I think it's these anomalies which make the short game very profitable. Many think trash hands are the way to profits. That rarely happens, just like this occurance.

I hate making changes to my game -- so I just went a found another game at a lower limit which I could handily beat. That does wonders, as opposed to my more natural inclination to go up in limits and play better players when I'm on my B game. Just another spot, where experience helps.

Thanks for your comments.
Magi