PDA

View Full Version : Live 1-4-8-8.

BigEndian
08-02-2004, 10:56 AM
I thought this hand was interesting - at least enough to think about my decision for 3 seconds before I acted.

For those unfamiliar with this spread: Blinds are 1/2. First two rounds can be bet or raised 1-4, second two rounds 1-8. For the first round, players may come in at the $2 blind.

The table is generally passive with calling stations. BB is a major passive calling station but will turn the gas on with 2-pair or better. CO is an OK player. Not passive, but typically plays too many hands and does go way too far without odds to draw.

Hero has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif and is on the button.
3 limpers, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop (6 players, 3SB): K/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB bets 4 (definitely touched this board, not a draw), called in one place, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn (5 players, 4BB): 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets 8 (he has a K, two pair or better), folded to CO who raises to 16. Hero...

- Jim

dmk
08-02-2004, 11:46 AM
muck. drawing to 9 outs (7 if you don't count the Jc and 7c, as they may make a boat), getting 3.5:1. there's a passive showing aggression, and an OK player raising him. if he is ok enough to be able to identify that the passive probably has a made hand, then you most likely have the 7 outs mentioned, and you need to get outta there.

BigEndian
08-02-2004, 12:23 PM
That was my action, for the reasons you state as well as the very real possibility of the BB re-raising if he has a set.

I thought the hand was interesting since everyone limping in for only 2 each really makes the difference in a call or fold here. Which also paints a pretty big picture of how 1-4-8-8 can play differently than 4/8.

At any rate, I folded, BB called on the turn and called the river which was a blank. CO flipped 77 and BB didn't show.

- Jim