PDA

View Full Version : uninstall software-- how effective is it?

bwana devil
08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Any of you computer guys know how well the “uninstall” works for party and UB? I load the software on my work laptop when I travel and when I get back I uninstall. We have express written rules against loaded 3rd party software on our laptops. So is this still detectable (my guess is, yes). If yes, what other steps do I need to take to clean it off the harddrive?

Thanks,
bwana

WC64
08-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I do the same thing on my work laptop for Pokerstars. It has been about 6 months since the first time I downloaded while I was gone and uninstalled it. My company also has a strict policy. We have to call our help desk in order to even download anything off the net. Although I have found a way around that for when I travel. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TylerD
08-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes its detectable, thats the reason why once you have uninstalled it you can't reinstall it and start up a new account. Would anyone in IT bother or know where to look for it unless they were specifically looking for it?..I doubt it.

pudley4
08-02-2004, 11:35 AM
It's actually pretty easy to detect most unauthorized software, depending on how it's been "uninstalled". (Hint: It's called the "Registry")

bwana devil
08-02-2004, 02:05 PM
right, thanks for the hint but does anyone actually know the answer to my question and can help me?

TylerD
08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Jeff's right. Party will have most likely left registry entries when it was "uninstalled". These registry entries will have to be removed, finding them is the difficult part.
My point was that unless your employers have reason to be suspicious, they probably aren't going to be checking all the registry for signs of Party.

(And to answer your question, no I don't know how to do this.)

JDErickson
08-02-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any of you computer guys know how well the “uninstall” works for party and UB? I load the software on my work laptop when I travel and when I get back I uninstall. We have express written rules against loaded 3rd party software on our laptops. So is this still detectable (my guess is, yes). If yes, what other steps do I need to take to clean it off the harddrive?

Thanks,
bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are asking for would require a deep search of the system registry and deletion of everything related to party poker. Not something I would recommend a normal person do. Its very easy to screw up the registry and result in a complete reload of windows.

My suggestion is not to load it on a work computer if they are that picky. Its just too hard to erase all the traces.

Jim

bwana devil
08-02-2004, 02:20 PM
thanks, JD and Tyler. guess my poker days at work are over. and yeah, JD, im the type of guy who knows just enough about computers that ill try something and screw it up. ill leave this one alone.

highlife
08-02-2004, 02:44 PM
its really not nearly as difficult as they make it out to be. if you want i could list a step by step list of how to completely clean it off. if you have any question if something is okay to delete just post it on here before you proceed.

You shouldn't have to lose that extra poker income.

bwana devil
08-02-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you want i could list a step by step list of how to completely clean it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, please. that would be great. with a touch of hand holding i could evaluate whether i could pull that off. thanks.

highlife
08-02-2004, 03:01 PM
no problem, ill pm you when i get back home so i can play around with it on my own computer to make sure i get it right.

VeryTnA
08-02-2004, 03:20 PM
What if you downloaded and played in "Safe Mode"?

sumdumguy
08-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Would using system restore, work?

TylerD
08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Can you post it here, just out of interest?

itsmarty
08-02-2004, 04:05 PM
If your laptop's using XP, you could be in business. The 'system recovery' utility takes the system back to a previous state, so you could set a recovery point before installing the poker client and revert back to it when you return (making sure not to lose any work you did while travelling).

If not, it would probably be easier to talk your company into buying XP than it would be to explain your poker client /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Martin

JDErickson
08-02-2004, 04:10 PM
One option may be to use a product like Norton Cleansweep. It is much better at erasing all traces of programs. You install the program before installing Party Poker. Then it logs all changes to the system when installing PP so when it uninstalls it can clear them all.

Back when Party first started installing toolbar buttons and menu options in Internet Explorer I believe there were 6-8 different registry keys involved just for this. I would bet the full program install would have many more than this.

jim

highlife
08-02-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One option may be to use a product like Norton Cleansweep. It is much better at erasing all traces of programs. You install the program before installing Party Poker. Then it logs all changes to the system when installing PP so when it uninstalls it can clear them all.

Back when Party first started installing toolbar buttons and menu options in Internet Explorer I believe there were 6-8 different registry keys involved just for this. I would bet the full program install would have many more than this.

jim

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great program, much better than doing it by hand. however this also a third party program...so that kind of defeats the purpose inheirantly. also its not free, im guessing around $60.

highlife
08-02-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your laptop's using XP, you could be in business. The 'system recovery' utility takes the system back to a previous state, so you could set a recovery point before installing the poker client and revert back to it when you return (making sure not to lose any work you did while travelling).

If not, it would probably be easier to talk your company into buying XP than it would be to explain your poker client

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

system recovery is okay, it does have its glitches though. also you would lose any "clean" changes you made to the pc during this time period.

BradleyT
08-02-2004, 04:30 PM
You could always run a registry monitoring program (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml) and take note of what keys party installs.

highlife
08-02-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could always run a registry monitoring program and take note of what keys party installs.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep and filemon it too... you got yourself a clean uninstall! thats what i was gonna do when i get home.

LoveNh8
08-03-2004, 03:57 PM
You could play at Pacific w/ their "No Download" option...

bwana devil
08-03-2004, 05:49 PM
yeah, i was thinking about checking them out. thanks for the reminder. need to see what bonuses they offer too.

bwana devil
08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
highlife, any luck w/ the step-by-step?