PDA

View Full Version : Poker tracker and SNGs

hummusx
08-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I just registered poker tracker this weekend and I'm looking for some direction on how to use it. I don't mean functionally, I spent a lot of time playing around with the software. I mean, how do I use it specifically to improve my SNG play? I play $10 SNG at Party. I've only got about 30 of them imported to poker tracker so far, but as that number goes up, what are the first few things I should be doing to leverage PT?

hummusx
08-03-2004, 12:13 PM
No comments from anyone?

naphand
08-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Until you have maybe 20,000 hands imported the stats are not going to mean much, unless there are some really alarming trends...

Best to concentrate on the hand-replay function and run over the tricky hands you played and try to see where you went wrong/what you played right.

stupidsucker
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Replaying hands to look at your own play is great, and something I do often.

Its also nice to take notes on players while doing the replayer, then you can export them into your poker account.

hummusx
08-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey now that's a good idea. I never have the chance to make as many notes as I might like.

hummusx
08-03-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless there are some really alarming trends.../quote]

Ok, so I guess the question is, what are the alarming trends that I could check even with low numbers of hands? I can see all of the stats and mostly know what they are, but I have no idea how to analyze them. I don't even know what to look for to identify a trend that would be alarming.

naphand
08-04-2004, 01:46 PM
20,000 hands is about, what? 300+ SNGs. I would think after about 50-100 or so you might start to get an idea of whether you are playing too timid, or gatting crap cards, if you are competing for the money, folding too many competitive hands etc. You can look at the stats which show hands won when raised (on the various streets) versus just called, how many times you are folding to steals etc. Tactical things. But this will have to go hand in hand with the replay function as game conditions will be a big factor.

gergery
08-04-2004, 02:52 PM
a few thoughts

1. consensus i've seen is that pokertracker stats like VPIP etc. are not as helpful for SNGs even with meaningful data since blinds escalating changes things so much

2. 30 sngs is no where near enough to look at meaningful statistical data.

3. do a search for the following subject lines for what i think are most helpful pokertracker threads:
"A Poker Tracker Stat Evaluation (Guide?)"
"Is this you? Or how to judge a player using PT"
anything written by MS Sunshine

4. The replayer is awesome.

hummusx
08-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah, the thing with the blinds I understand, although it's easy enough to filter for only a specific range of blinds. So I can look at how I played before we get to the desparate stage.

I'm working on getting enough in there to be useful. I just want to plug any MAJOR holes as soon as I can. I've only been playing SNGs for like 1-2 months. I can work on fine tuning the little leaks once I get the gushers under control.