PDA

View Full Version : Tournament with no blinds, just antes

MilwaukeeBull
08-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Hello all. I am new to posting after reading many posts. In Milwaukee, there is a new tournament series that will reward players with an invite tourney in the end. The setup is different. They are not using blinds, but each player will need to ante for each hand. You start with 10,000 in chips and ante 200 each hand, for the first 40 minutes. The antes double every 30 minutes thereafter. There is no checking preflop for the first 40 minutes. You must bet or call a bet play.
How should this change one's strategy. It would appear that you would need to play more hands early on and take advantage of you position if no one makes a bet.

Has anyone played such a tournament? Any advice on how to play if you are not receing the best cards?

ohgeetee
08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
I'd gather everyone together that intends to buy in to this tournament, and just throw a couple of dice at the wall and give the whole pot to the guy who guesses correctly.

I think I would ram and jam pretty hard on anything remotely decent in late position, as you are basically stealing 2k in ante's if people are folding rather than betting. I assume your competition is going to be pretty weak, since they have all volunteered to join this crapshoot, so expect to be raising a lot of min bets as well. Every hand the first 40 minutes you are automatically looking to win 2k+, so when a guy opens for 200, you can raise/call with a shitload of hands at 11:1 pot odds.

After that first 40 minutes, I think I'd treat it as heads up play almost, with 400 in ante at stake every hand the low stacks arent going to last long at all, and the potential to win 4k every hand opens up your starting hands even more, especially if the betting structure never changes.

What is the betting structure? Number of players? Players per table? Paid dealers or player dealers?

You have 50 hands in the first 40 minutes to try to make a move, I'm not sure if they are going to deal that fast, but that is not a hell of a lot of hands, and any of the 50 that aren't dealt in the first 40 minutes are halved in the next 30. I'm getting these numbers by 10000\200=50. if you get through 30 hands in the first 40 mins, which i think is more realistic with a 9-10 person table, in the next 30 minutes you only have 10 hands to work with, assuming of course you never played in a pot, but it kinda illustrates how fast the fuse of the ticking time bomb is going off.

MilwaukeeBull
08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Game is no limit. Min bet will be the blinds. 100 people playing each night, 4 nights a week. No cost to enter.

MilwaukeeBull
08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Game is no limit. Min bet will be the blinds. 100 people playing each night, 10 to a table, No cost to enter.