PDA

View Full Version : A Misdirected Rant

Al Mirpuri
08-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Playing 10c/20c HE. A huge pot is taken down by a guy who hits his hand on the river after having seen the turn capped and contested by four?five? players. Well player A shows his cards, and Player B's hand is automatically mucked then Player C shows his river card hand. Well, Player B goes on a massive rant about being beaten by some punk who got lucky.

What I could not understand was that Player B suffered no bad beat as he was beaten by Player A, who had been betting a made hand all along. So why the rant?

El Barto
08-02-2004, 05:54 AM
I'm entitled to win every pot. Don't let little facts like "I would of lost to someone else anyway" confuse the issue. I'm entitled. I'm entitled.

Mayhap
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
bingo

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
(just a side note)
I'm not saying that this is the case here, but many players that go off about being sucked out of pots often overlook the fact that the player who hit his 4 out inside straight draw on the river had correct pot odds to draw to that hand. They think that they are the best player at the table and don't even know how many bets are in the pot. That makes me smile. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MBTIGUY
08-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Ah, relief. This thread give me a chance to rant about the idiot last night who called someone LUCKY AND STUPID [his emphasis] for outdrawing him with trips on the river. Never mind that the other guy was drawing to a large pot with a live 4-flush and live 4-straight, along with holding a pair with an overcard.
The ranter went on to say something about drawing to a 15-1 shot and how he'd beat everybody with even average cards. Give me a break.

steamboatin
08-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I never met a poker player that didn't believe they were great. I think I am a good player and I should know beter.

TripleH68
08-02-2004, 08:58 PM
A lot of players who do not know the game very well create a fantasy world in their mind. This guy, after losing his roll, will likely go and tell half-truth bad beat stories to make himself feel better. "You won't believe..." "Unreal..." "I got so unlucky..." You will find these people at the racetrack talking about how they got shut out at the last second of a trifecta that paid five grand...or they got nosed out on the wire by a longshot. They will never show you the ticket though. And tickets do the talking. Just like in poker your stack does the talking. Most of these folks just plain and simple should not be gambling. They have an underlying problem and likely the wrong motivation for playing. (Oh and I hope one of their problems is you taking their chips.) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Now that's the example I should have used. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never met a poker player that didn't believe they were great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wattsman
08-03-2004, 08:47 AM
I am great, but my poker skills are still forming. I am an an excellent newbie. I am never leaving this status as it is full of convenient excuses. When I don't want to be responsible I start holding single face cards because I want action. Anybody who's held a deck of cards knows how much crap that is.....but there I go.
How long I been playing?
Lessee, I booted up my computer an hour ago..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Al Mirpuri
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
The river card player who won only had two outs as he was going for a full house having made two pair (middle and bottom?) on the flop, so he really should have got the hell out of their. However, the final pot was $13.55. So, he was shooting at a lot of money. No more than £3.20 was put in on the river.

deacsoft
08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Good luck to you, sir.