PDA

View Full Version : First post in HUSH forum

Nemesis
08-02-2004, 05:09 AM
How do you guys feel about the play in this?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Super Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, MP (poster) checks, Super Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Super Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero caps</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Super Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 26.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 26.50 BB, between BB, MP and Super Hero.</font>

stripsqueez
08-02-2004, 05:45 AM
post flop is fine

pre-flop is a disgrace - fold is ok as is raise - limping gives the guy with a random hand and the blinds a cheap opportunity to look at the flop - a bad thing to do short handed

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Nemesis
08-02-2004, 05:57 AM
I have trouble re-valuing limping/raising/folding hands in SH. I'm trying to work on my standards that I want to play in my head. Is there any particualr posts a newbie should look for. I have done searches, but if you type in beginner or newbie there's so many posts it's difficult to sift through them all. If anybody has one in their favorites that would be great.

stripsqueez
08-02-2004, 06:07 AM
lots of pre-flop short handed choices are raise or fold - if/when limp is right (some say never some say sometimes - we could rehash a lot of old territory if i was to do the debate more justice) it wont be too wrong to choose one of the other 2

i suggest only raising before the blinds - never cold call a raise and never limp - in the SB never call a raise

dont make the mistake of other ring game chooks who see too many flops - if your VP$IP is over 25% (or say 32% flops seen) there is a good argument your seeing too many flops for a short handed novice

i promise that strategy will work fine - once you get more comfortable you might find some limping opportunities

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

imitation
08-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Yep I have to agreee with this so far i'm trying as hard as possible to live by the raise or fold approach I think it is working well for me as I adjust my game for SH.

Nemesis
08-02-2004, 12:30 PM
The standard VPIP that we see for full ring games is in the 18-20% range. That's using suited connectors and AXs/KXs from the right posistion with limpers etc.Are suited connectors strong enough to raise? I know the AXs and Kxs must be, but only from certain posistion? I guess what category do the extra hands come from is my main question, big cards, connectors, or some other assorted hands?

fnord_too
08-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm not quite the raise/fold advocate as some, but I am only about 15k hands into sh. Here is where I think it is ok to limp:
If there are limpers behind you (at least two) and you have a good drawing hand (small pair, JTs, something like that).
If you are in the SB completeing with at least one limper and the BB not a habitual pre flop raiser, and some kind of hand. I will play a lot of hands here since with 1 caller I am getting 4-1 on my money. Of course if the BB raises, you usually get sucked in for another 5 since you are getting 5-1 when it gets back to you.
BB calling one raise with a decent hand against only the raiser or with a so so hand against a raiser and a caller if you close the betting with your call. Again, this is for the odds you are getting on your call.

Other than that, I raise or release (well, almost all the time).

Nemesis
08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Just about the only hands i cold call with in SH or Full games are small pocket pairs. They don't have a ton of value if they miss their set, unless it's a very nice board. Anyway that's what i've been doing so far, it just seems like spiking your set has such high implied odds it has to be worth a cold call.

Peter_rus
08-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Fold PF. Never call - better raise.

Peter_rus
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have trouble re-valuing limping/raising/folding hands in SH.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you limp first on Button with K3s in full game - it's also very bad.

Nemesis
08-02-2004, 03:32 PM
i KNOW that, thought it might not be very bad in sh /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter_rus
08-02-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i KNOW that, thought it might not be very bad in sh

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nearly identical in SH and a full game.