PDA

View Full Version : bb troubles

04-30-2002, 05:19 AM
4 limpers and I check in the bb with 76o.

flop= As,Ac,7s. I check, next checks, next bets, next folds, I call, next folds.

turn= Kd. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls.

river= 3h. I check and call.

I'm shown AJo. Where did I go wrong?

04-30-2002, 06:59 AM
Well first of all, with 5 people somebody most likely will have an ace on the flop and you are drawing dead. I would always fold considering if you catch a 7 on the turn he will have a bigger boat, and your only real out is quad 7's.

04-30-2002, 07:42 AM
All kinds of analysis runs through my head on this, but it all comes down to you HAVE to put these guys on a hand to know what to do here. To do that I think you either have to bet the flop or raise the flop. Check/call gets you no info.

Also, what did you put him on to call the river? I don't get it. If you had position on him the chk-raise on the turn might be ok to get a free showdown (or to get him to fold 8-8 or 9-9 etc.), but as it is I don't know what your logic was.

Just my opinion, you probably know better.

Treefrog

04-30-2002, 08:01 AM
With TWO aces on the flop, I thought this increased the chance he was betting something other than an ace. Maybe a flush draw or a pocket pair. Now with a king on the turn, I thought a check/raise would win me the pot against anything but another ace (if the flush never came).

All in all, it was a very marginal situation and I probably risked too much money on it. Thanks for your thoughts Nick.

04-30-2002, 08:09 AM
On the river, I put him on the only hand I could beat. Spades. I thought this would be very consistent with the way he would play a flush draw and it would be a shame to get out-played now on the river, so I called.

As I told Nick, I got myself into a very marginal situation and probably lost too much money on the hand.

Oh, I didn't bet or raise the flop because a check/call on the flop and check/raise on the turn would also be consistent with my having an ace. If he doesn't have one, he's gotta worry about me having one. I thought this was the best (albeit most expensive) way for me to represent an ace.

04-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Either you should have check raised on the flop with the intention of betting out on the turn, or you should have folded on the flop.

This was a very small pot, and you took a route that would cost you the maximum to try to win it. Not a very favorable risk/reward ratio.

I would lean toward the fold in most cases, except perhaps where I know that the bettor is the type who would almost always slowplay a big hand but would try to steal with this type of board. If the bettor is unknown, passive, or tight, I say let's get on with the next hand.

04-30-2002, 07:01 PM
I've learned to stay away from flops when the board pairs high cards and I pair the lower card. If the flop came 4-4-7 two suits, then you can bet, as your 6 can now become another out, since you can make 2 higher pair, trip 7's and a gutshot straight if a 5 0r an 8 hits the turn without the flush possibility.

05-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Fair enough. You tried to induce a bluff on the river to get an extra bet when he would not call (and may save a bet in some cases). Good thought, I didn't consider that.

Treefrog