I've got a few books coming including:

No Limit texas hold em New players guide
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
Gambling Theory and Other topics
The Theory of Poker
Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play
Inside the Poker Mind
Psychology of Poker

Recomendations on which to tackle first for sit n go's?

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 02:14 AM
Theory of Poker is essential to every game of poker you will ever play (slight over-statement). Read it first and every 6 months after that.

Phill S
08-02-2004, 04:39 AM
i cant second that strongly enough.

which reminds me, im due for a refresher in the big yellow bible.

anatta
08-02-2004, 04:59 AM
Some good books you listed, but I question how useful these books will be to help you specifically in sit and go. You should read these books to help you become a better poker player. The tournie book and nolimit book should help in sit and go, but you'll get more info if you just read the archives here and play a lot...but read the books too, and reread them and take notes and all that and soon you will be great or go insane trying.

Phill S
08-02-2004, 07:22 AM
its true that a lot of the books wont have direct correlation to a sit and go. relatively speakiong the sit and go is basicly the newest form of poker in existance (certainly widespread existance). therefor you wont find a book dedicated to the subject for a while.

however, most of those books will give you something. even just a persepctive on poker you wouldnt otherwise get.

[ QUOTE ]
but you'll get more info if you just read the archives here and play a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

as for this forum, it should be thought of as an add on. most of the posts take what you learn in poker books and take it to a point of relavence, its essentially like learning a subject form the lesson plan, without any kind of text books, or even sitting in the classes.

Phill

anatta
08-02-2004, 02:23 PM
You agreed with me that the books dont really directly correlate, and then you said: however, most of those books will give you something. even just a persepctive on poker you wouldnt otherwise get

I said something about reading the books anyways to become a better poker player. So I think we agree, but you are right, the forum absent the books could be tough on a new player.

So good point that absent basic poker knowledge, the archives won't help as much as they could. For example, I learned limit holdem through books as a "text" and then the forum as a supplement as you say. I learned Omaha (I still suck, but know how to play) the same way. I learned shorthanded poker exclusively through the archives, but I had already learned the ring game, and had read all the poker books. As far as no-limit, tournies, and stop n gos, I am reading everything on the subject just like I did when I started, and the archives.

BradleyT
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Theory of Poker and then TPFAP.