PDA

View Full Version : bubble hand

Jsb
08-02-2004, 01:05 AM
in this hand, the very short stack was SB, and after posting he was only left with 75 chips. the very big stack was in the BB, as you can see. should i have just folded this? i mean, looking at it, i probably would have called if i were the big stack. and if i had folded i was almost assured third place. am i just being results oriented, or should i have just folded and waited?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t970)</font>
SB (t275)
<font color="C00000">BB (t4115)</font>
UTG (t2640)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t970 (All-In)</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t570,

Flop: (t2140) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2140) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2140) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2140
<font color="green">Main Pot: t2140 (t2140), between Hero and BB.</font>

Gramps
08-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Ugh, I hate being a puss and folding hands like this, but I think it's the thing to do. BB is getting some mighty fine pot odds to call your all-in (570 to win 1570, about 3:1), and SB sure as heck is going to get out of the way. Not much chance of folding BB, and even against some random crap hand, you're only a 2:1 favorite.

If you win, you get 200 + 2(970) or 2140 chips - that's nice but you're still the short stack when it gets down to 3. Something gained, but

If you fold, even if SB goes all-in with his 275 and wins, he's back to 550, and you can get through the blinds again, forcing him to go all-in again before you are forced to make a stand. Thus, it's very likely that you have at least 3rd rapped up - that 20% is nothing to scoff at.

It's tough, because if you fold, and SB doubles up, it's pretty unlikely you'll finish higher than 3rd...but still, I'd have trouble pushing anything other than AA/KK/QQ here.

Another option you could try here, especially if BB isn't too aggressive, is to just limp in. There's kind of an implicit collusion that goes on in bubble situations like this when the short stack is forced in from the blinds. Kind of a, "let's all see the flop, and check it down unless it hits one of us, and then it's okay to bet - that way we'll be sure to knock this guy out and finish in the money."

If SB goes all-in, then if an Ace of King hits, you could take your chances and push. If not, you could get out of the way of BB if he bets. Another option to consider.

Edit: But limping would put you all in your SB for certain...too bad you don't have a couple hundred more chips, then it would be a better play.

anatta
08-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Headsup AK is a dog to 22 and isn't that big of a favorite over 32o. The BB will correctly call your raise with any two, as he has the odds, and he wants you out of there, leaving him with a bunch of chips and really only one player left.

Dude, this was pretty bad chip management, dont you think??