PDA

View Full Version : How should I have played this hand?

SixgunSam
08-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't like the way I played this hand, so I wanted some input on what I could have done better. The initial raiser had shown some desparation earlier and was pushing hard with Ace/anything. The big stack in the pot was taking a lot of flops and betting aggressively. Tell me how I could have played this better?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

UTG (t2820)
MP (t1835)
CO (t2145)
Button (t1285)
Hero (t1575)
BB (t3840)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, Hero calls t250, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t900) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1275 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, Button calls t985 (All-In).

Turn: (t3160) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t3160) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3160

Button shows A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I suppose I could have check-raised if I was planning to go all-in, because I the BB probably would have made a stab at the pot. I just wanted to make it unproffitable for someone drawing at a flush. I hate playing Jacks out of position. Help!

Poolgod32
08-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Ok
With a raiser and one caller preflop you had to know you were prob up against some overcards in this situation. I think you should have put the initial raiser to it with an allin preflop. He prob still would have called but you def wanted to get headsup against just one person with your jacks rather than two people. Once the flop hit, I can see nothing wrong with the way the button played (top pair with top kicker with a draw to top flush and outside chance at a straight) I mean you got a little unlucky in that he hit the ace but he had lots of outs (8 diamonds, two tens, three aces) Thats thirteen outs. You had 2 jacks and 4 9s for six outs. Again if you put him allin preflop would he have called? Jacks are always tricky to play.
Thats my 2 cents worth

Potowame
08-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Well You really want to reraise this preflop, With blinds so big you would have to raise more than half your stack to give FE to your hand, so a push would't be to bad. Your line of play was fine other than to passive preflop.

By the way His outs where everyother card in the deck that didn't improve the
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

A10 had 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif's, 2-10's, 3-A's = 14 outs
JJ had 45 - 7 = 31 outs

Made hands don't need outs, there made! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Poolgod32
08-02-2004, 03:04 AM
You are totally right Potowame. Its late! My bad!

SixgunSam
08-02-2004, 03:12 AM
How small of a hand do you re-raise all-in preflop in this situation? Say you had 99 or TT? Is this an all-in or fold situation in most cases with a decent hand or is there a situation where I am willing to call that raise to see the flop? What is the cutoff point for just folding in your opinion?

Gramps
08-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Push or fold preflop. Depends on your observations of the button (does he always "overraise" like this, or does it scream overpair).

There's three stacks &gt; 2,000, so if button could do this with a wide range of hands that you're a big favorite, I say go for it. If you haven't seen him raise like this yet (which looks suspicious given his short stack, kind of a "get action" raise), then it ain't so bad to fold it preflop.

I think calling is the worst of the three options, because that's a lot of chips at this point and button may still push/bet you out of the hand on a flop with an overcard(s) where you're still ahead.

Poolgod32
08-02-2004, 03:24 AM
I totally agree with Gramps. Remember noone can outplay you if you are allin preflop. They either call (in this case that would have put the preflop raiser allin) or fold. Two good things can happen...they fold or you win the hand at a showdown nad one bad..they call and beat you. I know I know...what are the odds, percentages, etc? Sometimes poper is a game played as much with your gut instinct as it is with math and probability. In this case our hero had the better hand preflop and should have pushed it, Even if up against two overcards its still a coin flip and with the blinds that high it was def worth a shot. Whats the saying "the only thing better than gambling and winning money is gambling and losing money."
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Potowame
08-02-2004, 04:37 AM
It would be very read dependent, as I think you said the player was playing very aggressive, a push gets marginal at at 99.
But If you have not shown any reraises to this player, he is more than likley going to lay down a good hand. With your read on this player LAG, and a tight aggressive play from you, 10-10 - AA. AQs-AKs-AKos push. And thats more than likley pretty tight standards, because your not calling a all-in , but making the other player make the decision, you could Loosen those up slighlty.

SixgunSam
08-02-2004, 04:54 AM
I think you are definitely right that the biggest mistake was made PF by not pushing, however I doubt the results would have been any different because that player had comitted a large % of his stack with that raise in the first place. I suppose that is what went through my mind. I felt like I could get away from the flop and still have over T1000 if an Ace or King fell and find a better spot to get my chips in. I also thought there would be a slightly better chance that he would lay down his hand to an all-in if all he had were overcards, so there was some reasoning behind my call, but like I said, I wasn't happy with the play on my part and would probably push there when confronted with a similair circumstance. Thanks for the input.