PDA

View Full Version : Slow play correct here? .25/.50 Stars

micacka
08-01-2004, 11:23 PM
It's my first post here, I've been lurking for some time, though. I've been playing hold em for about a year, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible, as well as make a little money on the side.
I'm looking for some critiques on this hand:
Specifically:
- should i have raised preflop?
- bet on the flop?
- just call the turn?

And in general in micro-limit hold em, is it better to play as strongly as possible when you know you have the best hand, or wait for the turn and river to bet and raise?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

River: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Thanks.

Nemesis
08-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Limp preflop-
you HAVE to bet this flop, people will call you, maybe even checkraise. You have the 3rd nuts right now, behind to 66, and 65, very slim chance anybody has those, but anybody with an overcard will call... anybody with a lone 6 will call. If you don't bet anybody who's behind on you has infinite odds to draw out on you with. Raise the turn for sure, if you're lucky you'll get callers, you weren't too bad. Obviously you bet the river.

*edit* Slow Playing it like you did looks just like that... a slow play. If you bet the flop people assume you have nothing, if you check they think you have the nuts /images/graemlins/wink.gif When you raise the turn after not betting the flop you look like you're trying to spring a trap. Betting the flop/raising turn looks more like trying to push people out. At least that's my take on it.

Zetack
08-01-2004, 11:34 PM
In this particular hand I would bet the flop. I don't want to see it checked through, overcards are more likely to come along here on the cheap street, and they may think you are taking a stab at the pot as the last person to act.

On that turn, with the bet directly to your right, I'd just call and hope to get some of those other players to come along and put in a raise on the river.

--Zetack

SpaceAce
08-01-2004, 11:51 PM
You should absolutely bet this flop from the button. Your opponents already don't want to believe you have a big hand and when you bet from the button, everyone is going to think you are trying to steal the pot. However, having checked the flop and turned an almost invincible hand, I would probably just call on the turn and try to bring another player to the river. You might miss out on one bet by trying to continue the slow play but you might also gain several bets. If you have reason to believe the other two players are going to fold, anyway, go ahead and raise but even a double-paired board often won't scare everyone out as long as there is no raise.

SpaceAce

Nottom
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Bet the flop, all sorts of crappy hands will call for a small bet here. After slowplaying the flop, you need to smoothcall the turn, as the board is super scary and the last thing you want to do is make everybody fold.

All you suceeded in doing with this slowplay is to force everyone to call 2 bets on the turn in a small pot while drawing to at best a combined 1 out.

Yuk.

purnell
08-02-2004, 12:58 AM
IMHO: I think slowplaying is not usually a good idea unless you have a couple of very aggressive players in the game who will bet/raise your hand for you. Otherwise, especially if you're on the button, I say go ahead and bet the flop. If you are raised, then you MIGHT want to slow down (just call on the flop and let others in behind you who might catch something they like enough to go to the mat with) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bisonbison
08-02-2004, 01:00 AM
I like to disguise my hand by betting the flop. Then the turn. Then the river.

antidan444
08-02-2004, 01:03 AM
I just spit iced tea all over my monitor. Thanks bison.

SpaceAce
08-02-2004, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to disguise my hand by betting the flop. Then the turn. Then the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be funny if it weren't 100% true. Bet, bet, bet. Anyone with a pair will convince themselves that you can't possibly have a six or better. I actually said in another similar thread that the best way to disguise your hand is to bet like you have exactly what you have.

SpaceAce

nepenthe
08-02-2004, 08:08 AM
OK look here. You have to bet the flop when you're last to act. People won't think much of it because you're on the button and will probably call.

Since you didn't, look what you ended up doing on the turn. You had a bettor to your immediate right and you ended up chasing everyone away! Is this what you want to do with the nuts (provided noone has 66)? No, you want as many people to stay in this hand, and the best chance you have of attaining this goal is to BET THE FLOP. Chances are it'll be checked to you on the turn and you can BET AGAIN. Maybe you'll even be raised somewhere along the way. The way you played it is atrocious in terms of extracting bets from your opponents.

TommyTutone
08-02-2004, 09:54 AM
If you were in any position but the button I would probably check the flop (and then bet the turn/river), but since you are in the button, you have the obligation to bet to keep money coming into the pot and will either get a few callers or lose no bets you'd have gained later anyway.