PDA

View Full Version : pocket Kings preflop

04-29-2002, 05:38 PM
Interesting hand of 10/20 holdem. i have KK in seat 8. UTG raises, 3 cold callers. I know if i make it three bets most likely noone will fold and the big blind will also call. Its that type of game. I made it 3 bets to go. My friend told me i was dead wrong to do this. He said that by doing this i am announcing my hand(AA or KK) and my KK is a heavy underdog against 5 players. he said a smooth call is the right play here. Is he right? or is 3 bets the wayto go?

04-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Three-bet every time and feel good about it. It may well be true that your Kings will hold up less than half the time, but they will hold up a lot more than 1/6 of the time, so you're getting value on every bet that goes in. If you absolutely always raise with Kings, you can't be too far off from perfect strategy.

04-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Three bet it. You're a dog anyway, but it's better to in control, if possible.

04-29-2002, 06:06 PM
I think your friend is wrong. You have great position and a nice size pot. A big pot with the chance to gain info before you make a decision is the best opportunity you can get in this game.

04-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Three bet it. Your gambling opponents don't care what you have, and your "announcing" a big hand isn't apt to change their play one iota.

You are a money favorite. You are getting 5 to 1 on a your raise, and you are certainly far better than a 5 to 1 dog to win the pot.

04-29-2002, 06:39 PM
IF I was in the Big Blind I would three bet here. Another words I would three bet no matter the position. There is nothing wrong with showing strength and taking control of the hand. If everbody want to call two cold with there Q,Jo, and there 6,7 of spades then thats there business. To answer your question three bet every time in my opioun.

04-29-2002, 07:02 PM

04-29-2002, 10:17 PM
If you are asking this question, you should seriously question whether you should be playing

10-20. It is pretty well covered in all the literature.

D.

04-29-2002, 10:38 PM

04-29-2002, 11:11 PM
Jim,

The third bet needs to go in here- even if the blinds are so unwise as to call, I can't agree

with your friend's view. While he's correct that your kings are not a favourite against five opponents, your concern here is to get as much money as possible into that pot. You will win much more when you win the pot, than those times

when someone either gets a flop that is favourable

for them, and bad for you, such as a three-straight or three-flush, which will cost you extra bets now and again, or draws out after staying in a weaker hand. If you worry about facing the nuts every hand, or about putting money in a pot only when you're a favourite, you shouldn't be playing poker-something closer to an exact science, such as chess, might be better.

perfidious