PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set (88) vs. straight draw - played too weak?

otctrader
08-01-2004, 06:26 PM
BB is tight-passive; did I err by not making him pay more to see the turn? Also would anyone have bluffed the river here given the BB's weak style?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

SB ($89.05)
BB ($16.95)
UTG ($3.40)
UTG+1 ($14.90)
MP1 ($13.11)
Hero ($19.50)
MP3 ($24.40)
CO ($19.50)
Button ($21.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($4) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.

River: ($8) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $8

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 7h 9h (straight, queen high).
Hero shows 8c 8d (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: BB wins $8. </font>

GoSox
08-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Yep. I'll bet less if there aren't two to a likely str8 or flush, but with two out there I'd bet at least pot.

Justin A
08-01-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did I err by not making him pay more to see the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The board doesn't look too scary, so I think the flop bet is fine. I'd be more inclined to bet the pot though. Once he calls on the flop you know he has to have something, so you should bet more on the turn to make him pay for a draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Also would anyone have bluffed the river here given the BB's weak style?

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand would he fold that has you beat? Betting would be terrible here as a bluff. The only option would be a value bet if you think he has just a pair, but you don't know that since his calling has given you little information about his hand.

Justin A