PDA

View Full Version : UB NL$50, .25-.50 Blinds... comments on hand please

g_scampy
08-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi guys,
I don't post often but I do lurk quite a bit.

I had this hand earlier today. I think I know the answers to the questions I'm about to ask but here goes anyways... I'd like some opinions if possible.

First hand on the table, I post in BB. No reads.

UB, NL$50

UTG : $24.30.
UTG+1 : $65.95.
UTG+2 : $12.75.
MP1 : $19.30.
MP2 : $43.80.
MP3 : $65.60.
CO : $15.20.
BUTTON : $20.55.
SB : $10.50.
g_scampy (BB) : $50.

g_scampy: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Pre-flop:

UTG calls.
UTG+1 calls.
UTG+2 folds.
MP1 calls.
MP2 folds.
MP3 folds.
CO folds.
Button folds.
SB folds.
g_scampy checks.

Pot: $2
Flop (board: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif):

g_scampy bets $.50.
UTG folds.
UTG+1 calls.
MP1 folds.

I'm sure that the min-bet on the flop is too small. Anyone like a 3/4 pot bet here?

Pot: $3
Turn 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

g_scampy bets $2.
UTG+1 calls.

Here I'm making a play at the pot, with the intention of folding to a raise.

Pot: $7
River 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

g_scampy bets $5.
UTG+1 raises to $47.
g_scampy folds.

After hitting my openender, I fold.
I think this is a massive overbet for this pot. I think I probably should have called, but was scared of the flush.

Bet more on the flop?
Check the flop?

What to do on the turn? I make a poke, mostly for information.

River, Call? He bet the exact amount of my stack.
I fear that it was an extremely weak fold on my part.

Thoughts/criticism of my play on all streets are welcome.

Thanks,

scamps

08-01-2004, 05:07 PM
g_scampy

Flop: I really don't like the bet, especially a min bet, on the flop UTG with this hand and this board. I'm check-calling a weak bet if anyone throws some chips out there.

Turn: Well, with your play you did isolate one caller, but since you only bet min you really have no idea what he could have at this point. This underscores the point of making a descent sized bet if you are going to bet with a semi-bluff so that you have a better idea what you are up against. It is worth mentioning that I generally only semi-bluff like this in position with a decent board. But to the point, you are now in a tight spot because if he hit his flush and you make a decent bet, he is very likely going to simply call because he is in position with someone betting into him. If he didn't hit the flush and you check, he most likely won't bluff because he may think you are checking the flush you just hit. If he makes a decent bet here that destroys your odds, simply fold and move on without having invested much in the pot. Personlly, I liberally check in this situation -- meaning I pause for about 5-8 seconds before making my move. Yes, online tells and reverse tells do work quite well.

The river now has you stuck because you hit your hand and need to bet into the caller to either get value, win the pot, or get raised with the likely flush. Your bet size is fine because you have been betting the whole time and if he called you down with king, he will most likely call again. However, his bet clearly indicated a flush, so the fold is an easy play here.

All in all, I would say that the min bet UTG into this board is a mistake. The bet into the caller on the turn with the 3rd diamond isn't a terrible play -- afterall, he could think you hit the flush -- but after he calls that I would have the radar up on the river. Since you did hit, your bet is the right play, as well as the fold to the monster raise. I'm sure people may disagree with my assessment, but I hope this offers a different perspective for you.

Leo Bello
08-01-2004, 06:42 PM
One question, was it your first hand at the table? You were exactly with $50 on BB.

SkippingGoat
08-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Sin #1: Semibluffing out of position. If you get called (and w/ a min bet on a board with a big card and a flush draw you WILL get called) you're stuck on the turn (which you immediately realized). Semibluffing in good position buys you two cards instead of 1.

Sin #2: Semibluffing a straight draw with a flush draw on the board. This is bad because you're liable to get called by flush draws (you want people to fold) and you only have 6 clean outs.

As for your questions, check and fold on the flop to anything more than a $1 bet. You say you bet the turn for information. What kind of information were you looking for? A call could mean anything. This is a bluff that hopes to take down the pot. Check-fold. The river bet is fine but this is a much easier fold than you indicated. Villain played this exactly like a flush draw. He didn't raise the turn because he didn't want to give away his hand and knew you'd probably come out firing on the river.

g_scampy
08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Upon further speculation, he played the hand exactly as I would have with a high flush.
Thanks for the input.

-scamps