PDA

View Full Version : Two NL hands for review

PotatoStew
08-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Played my second-ever NL ring game two nights ago, and I have a couple of hands I'd like comments on, if anyone cares to help out.

$25 max buy in NL on Party, blinds are .25/.50. Table varies between loose and tight... 3 to 5 to a flop sometimes, but many times everyone foldes to a small PF raise.

Hand #1:

Largest stacks are around $44, smallest around $3, I have $33.10 and I'm in the CO with AJo. UTG bets $1... he has about $44, but he's been playing quite a few hands, and showing down some mediocre stuff. 2 folds, MP w/ $9 calls. 2 more folds, I raise to $4. Button, SB and BB fold. UTG and MP call.

Flop: A Q T rainbow

UTG checks. MP bets $2. I raise to $8. UTG calls, MP calls all-in.

Turn: 2

UTG checks, I bet $8, UTG calls.

River: 3

UTG bets now, $3. I'm concerned that he's slow played something. There's way too much in the pot (~$50) to fold to a $3 bet of course, but I'd rather not risk a reraise, and If he has my pair of aces beat, I doubt I could make him lay it down, so I just call.

I'll give results later, I'd love feedback on all streets.

Hand #2:

At this point, average stack is about $20, and I have $64.45. I'm on the button with Ah6h.

UTG limps, UTG+1 (same guy who was UTG in hand #1 above) limps, 4 folds, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: As 7h 8s

Checked to me, I bet $2. 3 folds, UTG+1 (the guy from the other hand) calls.

Turn: 10c

UTG+1 checks, I bet $6. He calls.

River: Jd

Now he bets $4. Scary board, but like the other hand, I'm not folding a $18 pot for a $4 bet, yet I don't want to be reraised, so I just call.

Results to follow, but again comments on all streets would be appreciated. Thanks!

PotatoStew
08-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Was my post title not sufficiently interesting?

fireman664
08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
hand #1 AJ is a scary hand for me, I liked how you played it agressively into the loose player and you had position on him. I think your play was overall pretty good, and I agree with your call on the end (even though this is party and that player will sometimes turn over 55 or some crap) if you raise and he calls or goes over the top your beat.
Hand 2. Im not sure of this player, he seems to not know what he is doing. (I dont have the luxury of knowing his past hands shown or play like you do) I think you are good on this hand, and played it well. Again, I would just call on the end.

Huskiez
08-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi PotatoStew,

I'll give some comments on each hand.

Hand 1:

I like the preflop raise. On the flop, I think you can raise more. You have top pair decent kicker, on a board where people will probably call you as there plenty of broadway draws present, or let you know if they have a better hand. If I were called after making a larger raise (to around 12-15), I usually would slow down, but Party's buy in structure leaves you with few chips left over.

The problem on the turn is you don't know whether he has a really great hand or a draw because he probably would have called your raise with both type of hands on the flop. Given that it's Party NL 25, I'd be more inclined to bet, and put him on a worse ace or a draw.

On the river you have a clear call. I would not raise as your hand is not strong enough to reopen the betting, and would not fold because you really cannot fold for $3 more, like you said.

Hand 2:

I'll assume you have a decent read as to what type of player UTG+1 is in this hand. If he's sensible (unlikely given his river bet on Hand 1), I'd probably check the turn as his call on the flop along with the board not looking too great for your A6h hand would make me slow down. I'd just be taking a stab at the pot on the flop and be done with it.

If he's not a sensible player, I probably would play it exactly how you did, and hope he missed a flush draw.