PDA

View Full Version : Did i play this right?

Morba
08-01-2004, 02:49 PM
[Reposted in a better forum!!]

Ok, playing $50 NL on Empire. Im Conk3r.

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=3606

Im in 2 minds wether this was played right by myself.
After seeing the cards from the others i can kinda understand AK but KJ suprised me a bit.

Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks
Mark

Morba
08-02-2004, 02:22 PM
anyone?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wayfare
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Muck preflop, muck on the flop. You're not even drawing to close to the nut flush. (well, on this hand you were close)

Actually, all three players played it absolutely horrifically.

SpiderMnkE
08-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Way to limp in with total trash

SpiderMnkE
08-02-2004, 02:37 PM
If this is the first hand of poker you've ever played.. then I forgive you... if not.. I don't know what to say.

But yeah... muck preflop.. muck the flop.. btw... did I say MUCK PREFLOP.

If you ever hear anyone make fun of someone by saying.. "but it was sooooted"... they are making fun of you on this hand.

schwza
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
i'll try to be a little more constructive...

first, fold pre-flop. as everyone else has said.

i think betting the flop is fine, but you should have folded to the check-raise. the reason is the stack sizes of the players involved. if the original caller folds to the check-raise, it's a disaster for you, as the c/r-er doesn't have enough $ to pay you off well if you hit. even if the original does call behind you, he doesn't have much either.

on the turn, i would probably call the first bet, as the pot's pretty big, but i'd probably fold to the push.

here's a quick pot odds lesson: in the most optimistic case, you have 12 outs to win on the turn - 9 spades and 3 tens. (in reality, you could be way worse off, if someone has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif x /images/graemlins/spade.gif; also the 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif could give someone a full house). we'll assume you have 12 outs. there are 46 cards left in the deck, so you have roughly 1/4 chance to win. it's correct to call the last $23 only if the pot you'll win (including your own bet) is 4*23 = $92. you actually won $123. it's hard to say how much you should discount your outs, but i'd guess you should count them as about 9, which would make the last turn call a pretty close decision. could go either way at that point, but you really shouldn't have gotten that far in the hand to begin with.

SpiderMnkE
08-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I apologize for the laziness of my post. I am not so good as to deserve to belittle someone's play and then not give them reasonable advice.

Schwza gives very solid advice... soak it in.

Morba
08-02-2004, 07:38 PM
hahah, no it was definitely not my first hand of poker.
Just one of the few thousand i need to rake to make a bonus. Tho im sure you guessed that from the stacks at the table.

was one of those hands where you have a bit of fun /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We all play junk now and then, if we didnt then it would be a pretty boring very tight game where any raise would be folded to in whatever position.

I thought i would post one of my more ambitious hands as my first here.

I had been chatting about the hand in irc with a friend after and we both agreed i should never of been there (which is also evident in my comments on the hand itself).

Anyway, i remember a great person once saying "luck > skill" haha

thanks for the comments ppl :>

Morba
08-02-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'll try to be a little more constructive...

first, fold pre-flop. as everyone else has said.

i think betting the flop is fine, but you should have folded to the check-raise. the reason is the stack sizes of the players involved. if the original caller folds to the check-raise, it's a disaster for you, as the c/r-er doesn't have enough $ to pay you off well if you hit. even if the original does call behind you, he doesn't have much either.

on the turn, i would probably call the first bet, as the pot's pretty big, but i'd probably fold to the push.

here's a quick pot odds lesson: in the most optimistic case, you have 12 outs to win on the turn - 9 spades and 3 tens. (in reality, you could be way worse off, if someone has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif x /images/graemlins/spade.gif; also the 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif could give someone a full house). we'll assume you have 12 outs. there are 46 cards left in the deck, so you have roughly 1/4 chance to win. it's correct to call the last $23 only if the pot you'll win (including your own bet) is 4*23 = $92. you actually won $123. it's hard to say how much you should discount your outs, but i'd guess you should count them as about 9, which would make the last turn call a pretty close decision. could go either way at that point, but you really shouldn't have gotten that far in the hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a lot less that 46 cards left in the deck at the point of having 12 (at best) outs.
Again at this point there was only 36 cards in the deck (12 dealt / 4 on table) before the river. If anything not hitting on the turn gave me better odds of hitting on the river 1/3 chance. On 9 outs i'd of been 1/4, which again would be a good call. If i played the turn, i would be mad for not playing the river as i was getting a great return on my call (only needed to be $69 for a good return yet almost doubled it).

Anyway, im now sounding like im trying to justify ever being in that pot which isnt what i want to do! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AtlBrvs4Life
08-02-2004, 08:38 PM
You have to include other people's hole cards in your odds because you don't know what they have! 46 is the right number.

Morba
08-03-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to include other people's hole cards in your odds because you don't know what they have! 46 is the right number.

[/ QUOTE ]

:O

thx