PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Jacks, how'd I play 'em?

04-28-2002, 02:02 AM
I'm interested in thoughts on my play here, but also my opponents since I thought their play was, well, interesting...

I'm on the button with JcJs. 3 limpers to a reasonable player (RP) 2 seats to my right who raises. Fold to me, I 3 bet. I figure my best chance here is to really thin the field. BB (a complete maniac) and 2 limpers call. RP calls.

Flop: 6h 6d Ks

Checked to RP who bets. I raise. BB calls, folded to RP who calls.

Turn: [6h 6d Ks] 4d

Here's where it gets interesting. BB bets out, RP raises. I muck.

River was a blank. Checked around. BB turns over 5d7d?!? RP takes it down with QQ.

Thoughts?

04-28-2002, 02:28 AM
RP was perhaps overly aggressive but if he's knowledgeable was thinking since you three bet you might well have 88-JJ and he'd like to get you out. He figures the BB could be anywhere and he was right. I probably couldn't make this play in this situation, however. BB could well have a 6 or K. I think he's paying too much money for the information. If you call, he's dead and has to check-fold (or just fold if BB bets) on the river.

Once again I like your play. I think playing aggressively on the flop in this sort of situation really helps define where you're at. Now, you can muck on the turn with virtual certaintly that your JJ is beat.

Claude

04-28-2002, 03:18 AM
I don't think QQ wants JJ-88 to leave the party, as Claude said. I think he wants AA, AK or QQ to go home. This was a pretty good raise if he knew the BB and thought you would fold either of those hands, but otherwise its pretty bad. In most cases, with all the heat the BB took, I think sticking around with QQ in his position is terrible. That flop is not a good one with you raising and the big blind taking all the heat. Raising is better than calling, but he should have mucked.

God knows what the BB was thinking here. I would highly recommend continuing to choose games he is involved in.

I think your play was pretty standard. Your raise on the flop did define your hand and allowed you to dump on the turn. I think you have to get rid of this hand even if RP just calls the turn.

Where it really gets interesting is if he folds his QQ, as he should. Now you are in a tough spot, where you can beat only a bluff by the BB on a flop that contains no reasonable draws. If BB is at all competent, I muck here, too. After seeing this, I call him down.

Mike

04-28-2002, 03:22 AM
If RP mucks the turn I raise the BB without a doubt. I had played with him before. He is truly a terrible player. I was 100% sure that he didn't have a K or a 6, as he would have bet the flop with either.

If RP just calls I'm pretty sure I muck anyway. If he's not afraid of me behind him after my show of strength before and on the flop I can't beat him with JJ.

04-28-2002, 03:24 AM
After I folded the turn I heard them start to try to figure out what I had. One actually looked at me with a confused look and mouthed the words, "what did you have, aces?".

I just said no and left it at that.