PDA

View Full Version : Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em - The new beginners forum!!!

lil'
08-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Have you seen some of the hands posted there recently? Horrible. Some of the advice given out is drivel.

Seriously, the play of even new posters in the SS forum is excellent these days, but the new posters who have been showing up on the high stakes forum...ugh.

Homer
08-01-2004, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen some of the hands posted there recently? Horrible. Some of the advice given out is drivel.

Seriously, the play of even new posters in the SS forum is excellent these days, but the new posters who have been showing up on the high stakes forum...ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean I shouldn't be scared to post there anymore?

lil'
08-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Does that mean I shouldn't be scared to post there anymore?

You could have posted there a long time ago. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

1800GAMBLER
08-01-2004, 10:53 AM
I guess if the 15/30 party continues to attract 2+2ers all the posters you are referring to will go bust, and d'ross.

MarkD
08-01-2004, 12:36 PM
I feel the same way. On any given day I'm of the opinion that small stakes has more detailed in depth analysis and discussion of interesting hands than mid-stakes does. This never used to be the case and it's a bit disturbing.

Analyst
08-01-2004, 01:21 PM
The issue is really the definition of low stakes = beginner; mid/high stakes = expert, or at least highly experienced. While this may have been a reasonable assumption a few years ago, the poker explosion has brought a lot of people to the game for whom 10/20 or even higher is the jumping-off point. Overall, this is certainly a very good phenomenon, even though it means that there is also a growth (in both absolute numbers and as a percentage) of less experienced posters on 2+2.

If in fact the forum issue on 2+2 needs fixing - and I'm not convinced that it does - how do you do it? There's already a Beginners section, so perhaps there should be Intermediate, Advanced and Expert sections as well, replacing the current stakes-based setup. But who decides who gets to post where? Clarkmeister can post all the way through expert, of course, but does anyone limit where John Doe can post?

Most importantly, I think that this is a self-correcting situation. Most people who are interested enough in poker to come to this site will likely either become proficient at the Mid/High Stakes level or leave in relatively short order.

djack
08-01-2004, 01:39 PM
this thread sounds just a wee bit familiar.

lil'
08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm not saying the forum needs fixing. Just a dry spell, I guess.

It also goes to show what a great place the SS forum is to learn.

Ponks
08-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Wooohoo Go small stakes!

Ponks