PDA

View Full Version : What browser do you use? (somewhat O/T)

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Just curious...

thirddan
08-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Firefox rules...

RollaJ
08-01-2004, 09:06 AM
whats the benefit of mozilla?
seems a few people use it

Vehn
08-01-2004, 09:10 AM
People only use mozilla so they can wave their "anti M$" penii around. Its not as polished as IE and does not have all the functionality, and I don't like the window scroll when you use the middle mouse button to scroll. However it is a bit faster than IE for loading images and there's no spyware and popups for it and the tabbed browsing is cool. Its not bad and I use it some times but they need to fix the scrolling thing before I'll use it all the time.

ThePopinjay
08-01-2004, 10:05 AM
it's super customizable too. i'm sure you could find an extension that fixes your problem. tabbed browsing is probably the best feature of it, the search bar is nice and small and very useful (u can install other search engines on it like ebay or imdb). extensions such as mouse gestures and X (erases history/cache/downloads/forms in one click /images/graemlins/smile.gif ) make it v. v. good. PLUS it's not vulnerable to stupid ActiveX viruses that plague internet explorer. the built-in pop up blocker is also awesome.

Alobar
08-01-2004, 10:06 AM
What scrolling thing are you talking about? I use firefox and I love it. And its not because I hate MS, its because surfing has become infinitely more enjoyable with out a million pop ups and 5 browser windows open (tabs rule!). Throw in the customizable "search" window (ive got mine setup for google, ebay, and dictionary.com) and it all equals one waaay better browser

Vehn
08-01-2004, 10:18 AM
When you hold down the mouse wheel button and use it to scroll the page its WAY choppier and harder to read than doing it in IE, enough so that it annoys me into not using firefox full time.

There's no activex viruses because activex doesn't work at all in it.

I get no popups in IE with the google toolbar and I don't get spyware because I'm not a retard.

The search thing in firefox would be neat if I used any other search engine than google. Speaking of which, you can't get to google home page in one click by hitting the search thing like you can in IE. Yes I'm aware of the new technology called bookmarks..

It bugs me there's no history icon.

There's no drop down boxes for autocompletion like in IE.

The password manager functionality is better in IE.

Tabbed browsing is sorta cool and all but frankly I don't exactly have a premium on windows toolbar space so its not a big deal to me.

submariner
08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
I downloaded Firefox to try it out. How is the tabbed browsing any different than IE opening in new window and putting buttons at the bottom? And does the tabs only work for bookmarks?

soah
08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
There is little choice but to ditch IE for sites featuring hostile advertising. I think it would be in my best interest to use Mozilla exclusively, but for some reason I can't quite bear to make the jump.

CountDuckula
08-01-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is little choice but to ditch IE for sites featuring hostile advertising. I think it would be in my best interest to use Mozilla exclusively, but for some reason I can't quite bear to make the jump.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Seems like every week, there's yet another IE exploit circulating. My wife caught a trojan a few weeks ago; as near as we can tell, it was just for visiting a site (I've since purchased and installed ZoneAlarm Pro to help with this sort of thing). I use Firefox almost exclusively, and never have this kind of trouble. I have no idea about the scrolling problem Vehn mentions; maybe it's hardware or driver specific?

As for tabbed browsing, I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread; it allows me to keep my screen uncluttered, and easily select between the sites I have open. Many times, I'm composing an email, and realize that I want to look at another site for reference, and it's trivially easy to open another tab and pop over there. Or I want to visit a link briefly, without leaving where I'm at; I just middle-click (i.e., depress my wheel button), and a new tab is opened for the new site. Plus I get to go to that tab when I want to; I don't lose the focus of my current tab and window.

-Mike

theBruiser500
08-01-2004, 01:19 PM
What is the relationship between Firefox and Mozilla?

submariner
08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
OK, I figured out how to get new tabs for non-bookmarked sites, but I still think its no different than having multiple windows open in IE. The no popups thing is cool, though. Overall, I don't see what the big deal is.

Chah Ngo
08-01-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The no popups thing is cool, though. Overall, I don't see what the big deal is.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you ever run a program like adaware and see how much garbage IE allows to be loaded on your machine, you will. I used to run adaware about every day and clear off 20-30 files. With firefox I might run it every other week and find 2.

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-01-2004, 01:32 PM
It sounds like Opera has all the stuff that makes Firefox good, but the reason Opera is better:...

Mouse Gestures.

Why move the mouse all the way up to the back button when it can be soo much easier> /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gorgonian
08-01-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you hold down the mouse wheel button and use it to scroll the page its WAY choppier and harder to read than doing it in IE, enough so that it annoys me into not using firefox full time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Always been the opposite for me. IE is choppy, firefox smooth.

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of which, you can't get to google home page in one click by hitting the search thing like you can in IE. Yes I'm aware of the new technology called bookmarks..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can. Firefox has a bookmarks toolbar that you can place a link to google on. One click = there.
[ QUOTE ]

It bugs me there's no history icon.

[/ QUOTE ]
View - toolbars - customize - add history button.

[ QUOTE ]

There's no drop down boxes for autocompletion like in IE.

[/ QUOTE ]
Odd, auto-complete works here.

[ QUOTE ]

The password manager functionality is better in IE.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what better is, but it works fine here. I really don't use it much, but I do for a few sites.

I use firefox because it's faster, more secure, and more functional than Internet Explorer. I don't give a crap who wrote either piece of software (I'm not anti - MS, though I do feel like a lot of their applications are bloated). If you like IE better, it sure doesn't bother me, but a lot of the reasons you stated are not really valid reasons in my opinion as I tried to point out.

Gorgonian
08-01-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like Opera has all the stuff that makes Firefox good, but the reason Opera is better:...

Mouse Gestures.

Why move the mouse all the way up to the back button when it can be soo much easier> /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Firefox has mouse gesture plugins you can install quite easily. And if you don't use them, you don't have the extra bloat that that functionality would add. This is why I prefer the modular system (plugins) that Firerox uses.

Gorgonian
08-01-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the relationship between Firefox and Mozilla?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mozilla is actually a suite of applications, including web browser, e-mail client, news reader, etc. Firefox is a web browser only. The Firefox browser is essentially a slightly lighter-weight version of the Mozilla browser.

submariner
08-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I got Adaware and Spysweeper not too long ago, was amazed how much junk they found. Once I got it cleaned up, and figured out where most of the stuff was coming from and avoid those sites (mostly low-end poker sites, free game sites, etc), I don't get too many any more. Still, none is better than some. I'm using Firefox right now, I'll try it for a while. I also use Zonealarm firewall and a Mcafee virus scan. Does using Firefox eliminate the need for antivirus software?

Gorgonian
08-01-2004, 01:59 PM
That's a definite no.

Vehn
08-01-2004, 02:02 PM
cool I fixed some of my issues. I still dunno about the drop down boxes though. Anyways as I said the main reason I don't use it full time is because of the mouse scrolling thing which is certainly better for me in IE.

Gorgonian
08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Hmm it may be an option you have to enable, though I don't remember doing it. I will poke around a bit to see if I find it.

RED_RAIN
08-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Maxthon (aka MyIE2)...a lot like firefox but it's what I'm used to.

Vehn
08-01-2004, 03:34 PM
How do you make it so that if a link pops in a new window (in IE), it by default pops in a new tab in firefox, not in a whole new firefox window? I know you can do that manually by holding down control or right clicking but I don't wanna.

And I can't seem to make the Real Alternative plug in work.