PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad Laydown?

EvlG
08-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Playing in 1/2 NL live game tonight, same one I have played for a month now, getting to know some players better. Villain from my JJ hand is Villain in this hand. He tends to cold call a lot of raises preflop, and tends to showdown a PP or Aces/face cards suited or unsuited. After playing a couple of sessions with this player my best read is that he is LAG, but definitely has some skills.

Preflop (7 players):

I have about $180, he has about $150.

UTG straddles (man I hate that crap). 1 limper, I raise in MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif to $14. Villain calls, everyone else folds.

Flop (2 players, $36 pot)

J/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet out $15, Villain calls.

Turn (2 players, $65 pot)

8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet $20, Villain calls.

River (2 players, $105 pot)

Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, Villain quickly goes all-in for $98. I think for a little bit and fold.

Questions:

1) Should I bet more on the turn? Based on earlier play villain to could have had anything from any PP to 2 unmatched paint cards giving him a straight draw on the flop. My bet here was designed to be a value bet that additionally lets me get off the hand if he has a made flush. This player popped the turn all-in in this very situation before and showed down the flush. His smooth call told me I was most likely not facing the made flush.

2) Was my fold a good laydown? My check on the river was very weak, but at this point an alarm was going off in my head. He called a 7xBB raise preflop, 1/2 pot bet on the flop, and a value bet on the turn. So he had to have something. For me, in those situations TPTK shrinks up quite a bit.

Furthermore, since the river brought a Q, I no longer had TPTK. Instead I had SPTK with a busted flush draw against a possible (but unlikely) made flush, more likely 2 pair or even a straight as the board was straight friendly. That player may well have played something like A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif in that way, and pocket 9s was also very possible given his propensity for PP.

My thought on the check was that any bet here by me was -EV; what would possibly call now except something that beats me? The problem is that the check on the river also induces a bluff, and I didn't think my hand was good enough to call.

Results in white
<font color="white">I give the opponent credit for a nice bet, and show the hand after folding. He then shows pocket 7s, no heart even, for the bluff. Ugh. I induced the bluff, but couldn't follow through.</font>

Daann
08-01-2004, 08:49 AM
I'd bet about $25-$30 on the river, that should be enough to stop him from bluff raising you.