PDA

View Full Version : Well, I DO have an Ace...

x2ski
08-01-2004, 04:29 AM
Hello All,

Long-time lurker but first post... I'm an absolute fan of the "sport" and rely on many of you to help me improve my game, so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the question...

How often will you call a river bet with only ace high? I personally don't think I do it that often, but I know that I have in fact done it on multiple occasions. Could this play be considered a serious leak?

I don't care what type of read you have on your opponent(s), for they could have come up with anything using that board, so I'm thinking that whenever I do it it's as a result of getting too excited during the hand (good starting cards, preflop raise you want to continue representing, recent bad beat, etc.).

I am thinking this is something that should be abandoned altogether, no matter what the circumstances, but have only been playing for a few months. I am hoping to either -help many of us realize what could be a simple +EV solution to our games- or -get ostracized for making such a lame observation-

Thank you to all who reply.

Danenania
08-01-2004, 04:58 AM
There are times when you should, but not many. It will usually be when you are heads-up and your opponent is in a situation where he would likely bluff on the river. This happens a lot in blind steal situations on both sides. It also happens sometimes when you show strength then show weakness, like betting the flop then checking behind on the turn. Some opponents would then auto-bet the river with anything. Whether you would call depends on the opponent and the size of the pot. If the pot is laying you 10 to 1 and you have reason to believe a bluff is possible, it's a probably a call. If it's laying you 3 to 1 it's probably a fold. The real answer to your question though is, per usual, "it depends." You should never use maxims in poker that contain the word "always." Hope that helps.

Edit: I'm an enthusiast! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

m2smith2
08-01-2004, 02:06 PM
In games as low as 20/40 you'll see ace high win a few times a night.

You'll get 50 "it depends" posts, so here's one situation where I think it might make sense.

You're in late position and call an early position raise pre-flop. The flop comes rags, the raiser bets, and you call.

Turn does not pair the board or present a three flush, and is not a face card. Raiser checks and you check behind.

Now, you have to consider that the raiser popped the pot with two big cards, and fired a bullet on the flop when he missed. When you called, he slowed down and checked the turn. Since you checked, he fired another bullet on the river. If the pot is not too large ($30 in blinds, $80 in the original raise and call, and $40 for flop bets) then his bet isn't a sure thing to be called, so he might bluff here.

One danger here - the outline I described is something you'll see with A/K raisers. In fact, that river bet is sometimes almost out of frustration - they knew they were about even money to hit SOMETHING by the river, and didn't. Obviously, in the hand you described you're still behind to A/K, making a fold correct.

Of course, that also means that betting pattern is a danger to you when an ace hits.

Saying "danger" is another way of saying "it depends" I know, but a little better I hope.

m2smith2
08-01-2004, 02:17 PM
One slight argument with your otherwise very useful post - I think of odds and bluffing as being inversely related. That is, the situation I described laid a little less than 4-to-1, and therefore a bluff is more possible.

That is, someone betting on the river and giving 10-to-1 actually worries me even when I have a made hand - those odds invite a call, and I can't imagine bluffing with those odds since a call is so likely.

Danenania
08-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Good point. I mainly wanted show that the pot size is a very important factor no matter which way you look at it.