PDA

View Full Version : Cold Call Yay or Nay?

Nemesis
08-01-2004, 01:12 AM
With the little bit of extra dead money in the pot, and the entire field sure to call 1 more bet to see the flop... is this an acceptable call? Then when i get to the flop i am drawing to 5 outs, so i want to protect my hand right? Turn i take a free card to get that 5 paired or K tripped up. River... what's 1 more call to see if im' any good... especially after the preflop agressor folds.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Super Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Super Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Super Hero checks.

River: (12.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Super Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.75 BB, between Super Hero, UTG+1 and MP1.</font>

antidan444
08-01-2004, 01:14 AM
I'd bet the turn. I wouldn't be convinced I'm behind when they all slowed down on your flop raise.

huxbux
08-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Call is fine I think with all that money in the pot. Your right to protect your hand knowing the preflop aggressor is sitting to your immediate right. I could argue that it would have been more effective to do it on the turn when a blank fell. That's assuming CO bets out on the turn as well.

Haupt_234
08-01-2004, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then when i get to the flop i am drawing to 5 outs, so i want to protect my hand right? Turn i take a free card to get that 5 paired or K tripped up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have raised the flop as well, but not to protect my hand. You will find that too many draws have the odds to call the 2 bets cold from your raise. The pot is too big to do otherwise, and the players would most likely not be wrong if they all called.

Haupt_234

flopmonster
08-01-2004, 04:39 AM
The only different thing I would do is bet this turn in hopes of a free showdown. You have to put in the same BB, but you just might knock out a hand like middle pair that would have caught two pair on the river but would not call a BB on the turn. Also I know there was a lot of money in the pot pf, but I just think the hand really doesnt have the value to call that bet. This is just my opinion and I'm not really that experienced with this type of table.

kureido
08-01-2004, 02:50 PM
With the little bit of extra dead money in the pot, and the entire field sure to call 1 more bet to see the flop... is this an acceptable call?

My understanding is that you don't want to be cold-calling many raises preflop with a hand like K/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif because frequently your king will dominated by the preflop raiser. You're correct in that you want a lot of limpers to play a hand like Kxs, but the relatively good chance that your king is dominated on the times when the flop comes without your 2nd nut flush draw make cold-calling this raise a losing play.

Then when i get to the flop i am drawing to 5 outs, so i want to protect my hand right? Turn i take a free card to get that 5 paired or K tripped up.

And this sentence is exactly why dominated hands are expensive. For example, pretend CO has your king outkicked but is passive enough to let you take control of the betting rounds after your flop raise. Your hand may well make an expensive second-best, especially if a king comes on the river.

It's basically the same problem we've been discussing with KJo facing a preflop raise, except your Kxs is suited, which adds back some of the value lost by having a little card instead of a jack. But when the flop misses your suit completely, you're drawing to only three outs, not five, if your king is dominated.

-b

(Forgive my long-winded response, I'm reading through SSHE for the third time and trying to apply what I've read as often as I can /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Nottom
08-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Definate, Nay to the coldcall.

Bet the turn.

bisonbison
08-01-2004, 06:23 PM
call is ugly, relative position sucks.

Sent
08-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Would've tossed it PF

-Sent