PDA

View Full Version : Trapping deep $ for all their chips (Party $100 NL 6max)

warlockjd
07-31-2004, 11:27 PM
Deep money = 250 BB and up for Party. This is an area in which I am improving greatly as of late. I would like start a thread on the methods I use, and hopefully others can add to this and we can all get some +EV out of it.

1. Flop set vs. overpair: basic and obvious, but still effective with the avg party player.

2. Betting draws: I bet at least 75% of my draws and fire on the river heads up at least 1/2 the time when I totally miss. I pick up tons of pots on the flop/turn/river even when I miss or before I've made a hand. Plus when you make a hand you often get raised by a bluffer and can take all of their chips.

3. Double Belly busters: I've found that this is QUITE effective, especially if you are the bettor and/or have raised the original bettor b/f your draw hits. They just seem unable to believe that you hit your 'gutshot.'

4. Multiple backdoor draws: (i.e. 2nd pr, 3 flush, 3 str8). I am convinced these are +EV against most party players since they dont charge you enough to make it -EV and pay you off when you hit.

5. Gutshots with implied odds: self explanatory

I am sure that there are many other areas that I am missing. Please add your wisdom. Also, if you see any leaks/mistakes in the above, please jump on in.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

warlockjd
08-01-2004, 11:30 AM
BUMP...Am surprised at the lack of interest in this post, as taking out the weak big stacks is a main goal of mine in playing NL. Am I way off here??

katzenmoyer
08-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi Warlockjd,

This is my first post so I'll try to make it a good one.

Yes, I believe you can make a majority of your income going after the "big" stacks. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to NL. I've done pretty well with the $25 and $50 NL on party, but haven't tried the $100. When going after big stacks on the $100, I assume you are just looking to trap people or do you fast play? Do you search for tables with big stacks?

Thanks for your help!

warlockjd
08-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey Katz,

1. I don't necessarily think the MAJORITY of income comes from knocking out big stacks, but the amounts can be significant given the avg. big stack on party's play (he has $600 and you have built up to $600).

2. I study my opponent's play and I will either fastplay or slowplay depending on his style and what I think will get me the most chips. Tough to define since it's very situational.

3. Yes, I do search out big stacked players whose big leaks I have in my notes.

toby
08-01-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm interested in point #2. On one hand you say you pick up a lot of pots by bluffing when you miss. On the other hand you say you are often bluff-raised when you do hit, which pays off. What about when you miss and fire, and are raised?

warlockjd
08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Always fold, never reraise.

And, in my mind, firing at a missed draw disguises my hand to observant opponents more. Similarly, I sometimes check a made hand. I am trying to avoid my betting patterns giving away the strength of my hand or whether or not I missed a draw.

toby
08-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I wasn't clear. I assume that the times you are raised and forced to fold is outweighed (significantly?) by the times you simply pick up the pot, or actually have the goods and clean up?

warlockjd
08-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, significantly IMHO. (But it should be noted that even if they just called they still win).

(I do watch out for opponents who adjust by going into check and call mode w. big hands, and have to back off aggression sometimes against that particular opponent)