PDA

View Full Version : Flopped 2 Pair, Lay this down?

skierdude1000
07-31-2004, 10:18 PM
150-300 blinds on golden palace with 5 guys left

Short stack has about 800, i have 2300 in the BB with Q2o, UTG limps (about 3200 in chips),
SB (short stack) limps,
i check

Flop: Qd 2d 7d

Pot is 900

I push in for 2300
UTG calls with JTd and wins the pot and I'm out.

How should I have played?
If I had bet, he wouldve raised and I would've gone all in anyways. Any thoughts?

adanthar
07-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Just pushing is horrible. Why would you put 2300 in to win a 900 pot when the only hand that will call beats you? (Maybe that's not true...but if he limped AA (with Ad), you don't really want him to call, either.)

I would bet 450-900 and fold to a push. Pushing is a better play HU than 3 handed, but if he limps anything at all 3 handed there will be many other chances to bust him.

skierdude1000
07-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Ya, after I pressed the button and before he called, I realized my mistake. It was down to 5 handed, not 3 btw.

skierdude1000
07-31-2004, 10:26 PM
But would you really fold this?

By the way, I saw this guy play like a stupid maniac calling through with bottom or middle pair (the medium stack) so I figured he would call with anything.

adanthar
07-31-2004, 10:46 PM
If it had been 3 handed, yeah, I might fold if I only bet 450 in the first place. If he's really so bad as to limp 3 handed I'll give him one small pot and go at him on a less scary board. Pretend you have AQ (because Qx alone is *probably* not pushing on the flop here unless he has a diamond); do you still call a push?

[Edit: I should clarify something. The fold, taken alone, is most likely very -EV, so if you are short stacked you should never make it. But the blinds are small, the player you are against is horrible and you'll have seven or eight more shots at him since he'll keep limping and giving you free flops. It's almost the same thing as a very passive player who hasn't raised your BB HU in 20 hands pushing when you're holding pocket tens; you're a coin flip or a dog and may as well fold just because you'll have better chances.]

5 handed is trickier...but he's a calling station and the big stack. I do NOT want him to call me here, so I don't push and I don't call a push since he's a calling station in the first place. If he was a maniac (meaning he'll make this play with A7 or Q3, no diamonds) it's a much easier call, but I still don't push to begin with.