PDA

View Full Version : Lost In Translation

bingledork
07-31-2004, 07:15 PM
How did this movie get 4 stars?

I think it's the worst movie I have ever seen.
Was it a comedy?
drama?
suspense?
action?

It was two hours of total boredom.
Please, someone tell me what I am missing.

ZeeJustin
07-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Bill Murray is amazing in that movie. Scarley Johansen is pretty good too. Their acting makes it so easy to unerstand exactly what the characters are going through. The characters are so wonderfully developed.

I think I would classify the movie as a romance, although it isn't a sexual one at all. It has a bit of comedy and drama too, but romance seems to be the best label.

Clarkmeister
07-31-2004, 07:43 PM
It's about relationships, choices and life. I thought it was outstanding and it really struck home.

M2d
07-31-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's the worst movie I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
You never saw Punch Drunk Love, did you? IIRC, that movie got some critical acclaim as well.

ThaSaltCracka
07-31-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please, someone tell me what I am missing.

[/ QUOTE ] a lot, the movie was really good. Maybe you don't like it, and thats fine, but most people enjoyed it and thought it was very good. Easily one of my favorite movies from last year.

Punker
08-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I went in really expecting to like this movie, having spent time in Asia teaching english. I really didn't get it at all.

nothumb
08-01-2004, 01:43 AM
I thought it was really good. The acting was excellent and the story was believable. It was well shot, and I agree with Clark that it hit home, even though I think Clark and I are very different people. That's where it succeeds.

If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend (who loves movies and who I thought would like it) really didn't think it was good at all. I think this is because it speaks to certain feelings, a certain sensation of placelessness or disconnection that some people don't feel very deeply.

BTW I think that girl is dead hot.

NT

Dominic
08-01-2004, 01:47 AM
it comes down to this: either you think movies are art - and you love films like "Lost in Translation," or you think movies are just entertainment and in that case, "Lost" might fail for you because it lacked "stuff that blowed up real good."
/images/graemlins/cool.gif
You know which one you are.

sfer
08-01-2004, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You never saw Punch Drunk Love, did you? IIRC, that movie got some critical acclaim as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved both of them.

Dominic
08-01-2004, 01:51 PM
I like Punch Drunk but didn't it quite worked...still admired it though

Dominic
08-01-2004, 01:52 PM
I like Punch Drunk but felt it didn't it quite worked...still admired it though

Malarky
08-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I wans't a fan of Punch Drunk Love, but I thought Lost in Translation was great.

nothumb basically said all I was going to say, though.

nicky g
08-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Punch Drunk Love was awesome. LIT was OK, a bit dull but pretty and with a nice Bill Murray performance. Pretty indulgent on teh part of Coppola ("I'm so clever and misunderstood, and my cool director/photographer boyfriend doesn;t love me and hangs out with bimbos" - wonder where she got that idea).

Sooga
08-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Yea, Punch-Drunk Love was fantastic... in fact, it is (and may very well continue to be) the only watchable Adam Sandler movie. Well, I suppose '50 First Dates' was merely mediocre, which is still a step up from his other films. Punch-Drunk Love is way out of place with the other garbage he's starred in.

Philuva
08-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Billy Madison was incredible on so many levels.

Clarkmeister
08-02-2004, 12:42 AM
You are a sick man. I pray for you.

Malarky
08-02-2004, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, Punch-Drunk Love was fantastic... in fact, it is (and may very well continue to be) the only watchable Adam Sandler movie. Well, I suppose '50 First Dates' was merely mediocre, which is still a step up from his other films. Punch-Drunk Love is way out of place with the other garbage he's starred in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mamma said alligators is ornery cause they have all them teeth and no toothbrush