PDA

View Full Version : discerning pocket pairs

Rhone
07-31-2004, 06:44 PM
I seem to have a problem discerning when my opponent might have pocket pairs that can beat me. I'm a fairly new player, and I'm never as surprised as when someone beats me this way. There's no point hiding the results of the hand below...I was beaten by pocket pairs, and I'm wondering if there was anything I could have done to play this hand better, clues something might be up, for example.

I think I was particularly perplexed because the BB didn't play more aggressively than he did. I think that might have clued me in. So another question is, do you think the BB played this hand right?

thanks in advance for any help,

Rhone

Paradise Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (10.70 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls.

River: (13.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.70 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (15.70 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ks Kc (two pair, kings and nines).
Hero shows Kd Qs (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: BB wins 15.70 BB. </font>

Nemesis
07-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Be thankful he didn't punish you more, there is NO way in my mind to tell he has KK in this situation. He sucked, you would like to play with him more often.

Rhone
07-31-2004, 06:59 PM
So you think I played it ok? I suppose it's frustrating on the one hand to know you can be beat like this, but good on the other if I would win in the long run playing this hand the same way...

Rhone.

PhatTBoll
07-31-2004, 07:02 PM
You played this fine. BB is a numbskull. Put him on your buddy list.

jrz1972
07-31-2004, 07:35 PM
You should think of this hand as a "win," not a "loss." Had your opponent played his hand properly, you might have dropped a lot more coin in this situation. By misplaying his hand, he saved you money. Be glad.

Seriously, this is a win in the sense that you saved bets that you would have lost otherwise.