PDA

View Full Version : Truly, truly the worst bubble play ever

Gramps
07-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Realize that the button has exactly 50 more chips than UTG here. I was more focused on my hand at the moment, and didn't realize right away what a bad play it was, but in hindsight it's quite horrible (even though he finished 3rd). I guess we can all make mistakes in the heat of the moment - that's why it pays to think through situations like this and realize what really happened.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (4 handed)

Button (t1600)
Hero (t2060)
BB (t4790)
UTG (t1550)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1550 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1550, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t2060 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, Button folds <font color="red"> (For 50 more chips) </font> .

Flop: (t5660) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t5660) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t5660) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5660

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ah 2s (high card, ace).
Hero shows Ac Qc (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins t5660. </font>

So...the button originally called UTG's 1550 raise, knowing that if he beat UTG, he would finish in the money (and if he lost, barring some miracle, would finish 4th)...then folded for 50 more, presumably hoping that I would beat UTG, thus ensuring the button 3rd place...

...but if the button called 50 more chips, and I beat UTG, the button still gets 3rd place whether he gets knocked out or not...and in addition has a chance to triple up to 5,000. Instead, he's left himself 50 chips with no advantage gained.

Yikes.

Algasm
07-31-2004, 06:35 PM
ESPN starts airing 2004 WSOP episodes and people start posting about absurd plays like this. Truly unbelievable.

stupidsucker
07-31-2004, 06:39 PM
LoL I guess some people dont understand how it works in a situation like this. His folding was absolutly ridiculous. The only person he needs to beat is UTG to take third. reguardless if you are in the pot or not if he loses to UTG then 99% chance he doesnt make it ITM.

50 to call for the chance to win over 5k .. This is the chance of a lifetime! He already made his gamble, then he threw it away.

At first I thought your move wasnt very good either, but I guess that no matter who wins the pot you are nearly a shoe in for 3rd place, and if you win then you become the big stack HU. I personally would have let them duke it out and take my chances later with pushing rather then enter into a 3way pot.

Gramps
07-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, my situation made me have to stop and think for a moment before I made my own all-in play. Thing was if the button lost, he was down to 50 chips and was BB before me. Even if he won his BB hand, he'd still be all-in of the SB (and me in the BB would have him outchipped on top of that), so I probably wasn't risking a whole lot for a shot at 5k (where I probably had the best hand since it had become an all-in fest). Oh, what a bonus when button folded and UTG showed A2!!!

The BB later told me he had AJ on that hand. Very odd siutation indeed.

stupidsucker
07-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes his lay down was pathetic. The ONLY way he would have been in trouble is IF the SB won the hand, and you had the second best hand.

I am learning that AJ isnt a good calling hand, but I sure woulda been pissed he beat me to the push. Had he had the sense to lay down the first time a round then he would have been in good position to have a shot at the real money. Also is A2 a good push hand from UTG? even if everyone has moderate calling standards of say....30% then its a 70% chance of folding for each person.. Making it only a 34% chance everyone will fold. (not to mention the BB has a large stack and already 500 chips invested. Then A2 is the weakest hand I would want in play against any hand that would call. (BUT I guess he was about to be the BB.) In this situation I would rather get J4s then A2 I think.

Martin Aigner
07-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Qualifies. Absolutely. And won´t be beat until there is one player who has only a stack of SB size. This player has to be UTG, all 3 other stacks are even. The flop comes AAA, Turn A, river 2 and oneplayer calls an all in bet with 22. Guess that szenario would beat your story /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What´s even more astonishing: This must have been a 50+5 minimum (given the 10k in chips). Truly amazing.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Gramps
07-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Too late to edit, but what I meant to say when thinking of pushing is if the button did indeed fold (which I wasn't expecting), and I lost to UTG, then...yada-yada, the button would have 50 chips and be in the blinds before me, yada-yada...

eastbay
07-31-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Qualifies. Absolutely. And won´t be beat until there is one player who has only a stack of SB size. This player has to be UTG, all 3 other stacks are even. The flop comes AAA, Turn A, river 2 and oneplayer calls an all in bet with 22. Guess that szenario would beat your story /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His quads full are good, right?

eastbay

edge
07-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Maybe he had Q2o and knew everyone's cards. (Probably still a bad move, considering the odds /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)