PDA

View Full Version : The "Sympathy " Fold

06-22-2002, 01:03 AM
There are all types of "folding styles" in poker. There is the "reluctant fold" where you really want to call but know you shouldn't. There is the "routine fold" where you don't want to call so you just muck with no remorse. There is the "bullet fold" where you hate your hand so much you don't even want to look at it so you toss it quickly into the muck (sometimes the velocity of the toss causes the cards to turn over). Today, I discovered (invented) a new folding style: The Sympathy Fold. This occurs when a pal of yours has been losing all day and then finally catches a hand to raise (or reraise) with (usually it's AA or KK cuz he's afraid anything else will lose). One of the primary characteristics of the "sympathy fold" is that you fold a "legitimate" calling hand which you would normally play with no guilt were it not for your concern about sucking out on your beaten up pal. Here's what happened in my game today. It was a grinding 20-40 full of a few tiltable regulars (one lady was up for 2 days, some players were calling with Ax (in any position for any reason), some players were pissed off and throwing cards, another guy wanted to "open someone's nose" (yikes), Babe was losing after winning, and the hero (Jim) was getting second best and just kinda drifting into a black hole of frustration. To make it worse, Jim was sitting to the right of a lady (half his size by the way) who kept elbowing him, restacking her chips and recounting her hundreds over and over. To add insult to injury, she was winning 2 racks in the game and our hero was struggling to hit a flop! So, now we get a little "action" in the game and there are 5 preflop callers to Jim who raises on the button. Hmmmm.. Surely this means only one thing: AA. I'm in the BB with K,Jd. I look at Jim and I look at the chips in the pot and I look at Jim again and I say, "you know...I could actually call that raise". "There is alot of money in that pot and I am really tempted" (I knew the 5 limpers would all call). I stare blankly into space for another 3-4 seconds...and then, I fold my hand and say something like "no, go ahead Jim". /images/smile.gif I was more concerned about giving him a "chance" to finally hit something than I was about trying to win the pot for myself! After the hand we laughed hysterically about my new folding style and Jim labeled it "the Sympathy fold". We agreed that we had seen many wacky things during our poker sessions, but this was an original move, for sure! /images/biggrin.gif A true "sympathy" fold must have the following characteristics: 1) You must have a calling hand; 2) The pot/implied odds must be attractive; 3) You must like the person you are folding to; 4) The person you are folding to must be losing; and 5) You normally would call if it weren't for the "sympathy" factor overriding your play at the moment. Touching, isn't it? Next fold, please...... Babe

06-22-2002, 05:43 AM

06-22-2002, 05:44 AM

06-22-2002, 07:42 PM
But Babe what if you would of won the hand after your friend had dropped due to the flop and the 1/2 Queen beside your friend won because you had dropped???

That would of been my luck in that situation!

Good Luck Babe but wait till after the flop!!

Paul

06-22-2002, 07:48 PM
I've also encountered the sympathy raise. It is the same friend taking the same rough day as the sympathy fold. It happens on the flop when the friend has limped in, and Probably flopped middle of even top pair, and you have flopped top 2 or a set. That pop or 3 bet on the flop is a message to the friend; run don't walk away; it isn't YOUR money I'm after.

May the flop be with you,

Fitz

06-22-2002, 09:48 PM
Yes, this fold also may require that you leave the table until the hand is over and all cards are in the muck. If your friend has more chips when you come back, you know you did the right thing for the right (or wrong) reason! /images/smile.gif Altruism at its best! If your friend does not have more chips, don't ask "what won that hand" - just pretend the other guy made quads. /images/angry.gif By the way, I am never tooooo upset about tossing away the best hand on the flop before the flop, because...uhhhh....I don't know it's the best hand until the flop comes and then it's irrelevant. It's so senseless to do the post-mortem analysis, I think. Next hand. Babe

06-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Fitz- yes - The Sympathy raise also exists! But...the difference here is that you are already in the hand and you already have the best hand on the flop...so you really gotta bet it that way (especially if others are in besides your friend). The Sympathy Fold is one of those things that you choose not to participate in when you really could participate. The Sympathy raise requires you to bet....but the Sympathy fold does not. And...that reminds me of another phenomenon which sometimes occurs....the Sympathy Bet-in-the Dark!.. How about that one? Your pal is in the hand and after you so you "bet in the dark" to be sure he folds - FAST!. Hmmmmm....Sympathy Fold, Sympathy Raise and Sympathy Bet in the Dark. YIKES--- I've created a whole "Sympathy Drama" I think. /images/ohwell.gif Babe

06-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Brad- Yes...the "Sympathy Fold" stops at KK or AA. Now....we say "hmmmm"...you're my pal, but I MUST 3 BET NOW! I cannot think of any situation where I would toss KK or AA BTF unless it was for PokerBabe's Baby Sister. /images/smile.gif

06-23-2002, 05:54 AM

06-24-2002, 11:35 PM
play with chips, but nobody buys in. and the chips are redistributed evenly between hands.