PDA

View Full Version : my one and only hand of $200NL at party

stinkypete
07-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (10 handed)

UTG+2 ($142)
MP1 ($213.90)
Hero ($194)
MP3 ($200)
CO ($147)
Button ($220)
SB ($201.60)
BB ($253)
UTG ($225.50)
UTG+1 ($263.07)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $4. MP3 posts a blind of $4.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $4, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $16</font>, MP3 (poster) folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $14, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Mistake #1: I was bored and decided to play $200NL.
Mistake #2: Didn't wait for the BB.

Lotsa limpers... thought I'd see if I can buy it right there.

Flop: ($44) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $41.8</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $185.6 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $136.20 (All-In).

Wow, flopped the straight? Does he have the flush? No way. I bet out big. I figure he's calling my bluff.

Turn: ($407.60) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($407.60) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $407.60

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qc Kc (flush, king high).
Hero shows 9s Jh (straight, jack high).
Outcome: SB wins $407.60.

Woops. Turns out I hit literally the WORST possible flop for my hand. 1 in 17296.
</font>

(P.S. I don't claim to be a good NL player.)

Frogger
07-31-2004, 01:42 PM
At your first hand at the table,

WHY on earth would you raise it to 16 with J9o...

I think you're forced to call on the flop but still. Muck that trash preflop.

stinkypete
07-31-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm aware that my preflop play was garbage /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SuitedSixes
08-01-2004, 02:11 AM
That's the kind of hand you muck, get mad when you see the flop, then feel like a genius after the result. In your case, you just reversed that in every way.

You mean you didn't re-buy and try to get it back?

mikech
08-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Lotsa limpers? No, there weren't: there was exactly ONE limper when it got to your posted blind--just check it, man.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're forced to call on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The other player check-raised all-in on a monotone flop, what do you think he's got? He's got the flush! Respect the cards...When you can fold a straight on a monotone flop, then you can expect to beat 2/4 NL consistently.

mikech
08-01-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, flopped the straight? Does he have the flush? No way. I bet out big. I figure he's calling my bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple more thoughts...he didn't CALL your bluff, he CHECK-RAISED you for all your chips, he's telling you plain as day that he friggin' loves his hand. FOLD.

EVEN IF he didn't flop the flush, if he has a set he's got a 35% chance of filling up. If he has a big pocket pair with a club he's now at 40% to win the hand. You have no club, your hand CANNOT improve. If he does have the made flush you're drawing dead.

Hypothetically, let's say his check-raise signals that each of these three scenarios is equally possible (although I think it signifies great strength and would consider the made flush likeliest): you're facing a 1/3 chance of losing 35% of the time, a 1/3 chance of losing 40% of the time, and a 1/3 chance of losing 100% of the time. The conclusion should now be clear: FOLD TO THE CHECK-RAISE. So you lose $58 on the hand, save yourself the other $136.

Leo Bello
08-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Actually it was one of the worst played hands you could. Beggining pre-hand, not pre-flop. You came to NL200 cause you were bored. So, you were not in your best mood to play.
Second you bought-in to a limit u couldnīt play (or normally wouldnīt.
You came into the hand with crap and worse you raised the crap on your first hand at the table, without having any reads on any other players. You got called (raise a flag, good hands coming in).
You flopped the str8, ok, but hey, there is a flush board. You have to bet? sure, but your bet is meant to take the people that draw, out of the hand.
An what do you do? Clearly steamed, you call a check-raise all in, on your first hand. Did you really think that someone at 200 NL tables would reraise you all-in on a flush draw?

GoSox
08-01-2004, 11:49 AM
" I figure he's calling my bluff " WHAT ?? He raised you over $130 !!! Ignoring the preflop play, you may have grounds to call but your logic was amiss.

pokerstudAA
08-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Congratulations pete....that was stinky.