PDA

View Full Version : Overpair out of position

tpir90036
07-31-2004, 11:58 AM
$50 NL on party. Villain is very aggressive and has built a decent stack for himself. i recently doubled up and then this hand comes up:

9 handed, BB $1

UTG limps, Villain (~$250) raises to $5. folded around to Hero ($115) in the BB with J /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and i call. UTG folds.

Flop: ($11) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
i check, villain bets $10, hero raises to $40, villain calls.

Turn: ($90) 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.)
.....?

my thinking is that i am done with this hand. there are no draws on board so my opponent either has a big pair, or two overcards and is just waiting to try to steal. it's tough for me to approach hands like this since i am primarily a limit player and there is no way i would fold an overpair to an aggressive player....in a NL setting though it seems like i am in a big reverse implied odds situation here. is check-folding ok??

what i did later on if anyone cares...

-tpir

JSD
07-31-2004, 01:02 PM
What are villian's pre-flop raising standards? By default, I'd tend to put him on AA/KK/QQ/AK. Maybe AQ. You check-raised the flop and he called. The chances of him having AK/AQ just went way down I think. I'm done with the hand.

Having said that, I think I like firing out a $10 bet on this flop rather than check-raising. If he has AK/AQ, you'll take it right there. If he calls/raises, I'm done with the hand unless I can get a cheap showdown. Alternatively, I might just check-fold this flop.

The problem with check-raising is that when he calls, you're very likely to be behind, but now you've built a big pot that it will be more difficult to get away from.

Guy F
07-31-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

what i did later on if anyone cares...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in hearing the rest of the story, as you said that the other player was very aggressive. I'm struggling in NL to walk the line between appropriate and excessive (i.e. losing) aggression, so I'm always interested in stories involving an aggressive hero or villain (or both!).

tpir90036
07-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Turn: ($90) 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif)
i bet $45. he called. the river was a third /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and went check, check and villain showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif.

at least i didn't lose me entire stack, right?

RustyCJ
07-31-2004, 01:53 PM
I like the bet out too, see how he reacts, if he just calls, you're playing on your terms and risking what you are willing to risk. I'd probably bet about half the pot on the flop and see what happens, checkraising is scary to overpairs, to me, usually means 1 of 2 things, either the checkraiser thinks I don't have squat or the checkraiser has a sweet hand. Not a good sign that he called the check raise.