PDA

View Full Version : 80-160 Commerce Questions

04-24-2002, 05:47 PM
I have a few questions:

1) Does the 80-160 HE game go daily at the commerce?

2)What is the collection per half hour on this?

3)Are there 80-160 combination games that go regularly? What are the combinations?

Thanks....traveling out in May and I was curious what to expect.

04-25-2002, 12:59 AM
I played there a few days in February when their month long tournament was going on. They had $80-$160 and higher going every day.

They collect $12 per half-hour from each player so it costs you $24 per hour to play in the game. At the Bellagio, they charge $7 per half-hour per player but it is a timed pot not a physical collection from each player. At the Bellagio, when a new dealer comes to the table, they take $63 (9 players x $7 per player) from the first pot where a flop is taken. So unless you are unlucky enough to win that particular pot, you pay nothing! The Bellagio system favors the tight player. The Commerce system is much more expensive. Nevertheless, I believe Las Vegas has lost a lot of its high limit poker action to Southern California which is why the Bellagio has started thier high-dollar monthly tournaments.

04-25-2002, 01:15 AM
The 80 HE goes every day, sometimes there is a must move game. The collection is $12 per half hour. The 80 mix goes every day, too. They usually play HOE, but if you want to play something different, just speak up. They are very accomodating to fresh meat.

/images/smile.gif

04-25-2002, 01:19 AM
The Commerce also uses a collection pot, but each player has the option not to participate and pay on their own. At the Commerce, the collection pot must contain 10 small bets, or in this case, $800, before the collection is paid. Sometimes it takes many hands before one is big enough to pay.

04-25-2002, 01:21 AM
PS

Often, the players vote to increase the limit to 100-200 in the holdem. Don't let that bother you, especially if Tom W., MFD, or JG are in the game. Yum.

04-25-2002, 10:33 AM
Is it that good?

04-25-2002, 05:40 PM
"The collection is $12 per half hour."

Some people pay much more than this. Others, less. I won't say which categories Brett and I fall into, but let's just say they are not the same.

Tom Weideman

04-25-2002, 10:50 PM
I am not a regular in that game, but am always suprised by the quality of play when I do sit in. It was where I made my greatest poker play.

Seven handed game. I had A4 clubs on button. Two limpers in front of me (it is unbelievable how much limping there is in this game). I raise. Blinds and limpers call for five handed flop of 37Q rainbow, no club. Checked around. Turn is 5 of clubs. First three check, player to my right (second strongest player in the room at the time) bets, I raise, SB (a regular in the game)calls two cold, BB and next player fold, original bettor reluctantly calls raise. River is a jack. Checked to me. I bet. SB takes forever to act and then calls. Next player folds quick. I sheepishly show ace high. SB shows 36s. The player who folded on the river banged his head against the table about 8 times, hard. The SB explained to the astonished table that he put me on a draw on the turn.

04-25-2002, 10:56 PM
mike l. should play at this limit. His brilliant play would be more successful.

04-26-2002, 12:00 AM
How could you pay more? Also, how could you pay less? I am confused. Is it better to pay the 12 bucks per half outright or let it come out of the first pot? Is it true that there is an option to this?

04-26-2002, 02:10 AM
Tom means that since he hardly ever wins a pot, his collection is usually paid by someone else. And since I hardly ever lose a pot, that someone is often me. Some players hope to pay the collection every half hour, since that means they won that pot. Maybe Tom can explain how winning is bad...

You have the option when the collection pot is announced to declare youself out of it. You are then responsible for paying your own collection, and if you win the first qualifying pot, you don't pay. New players often declare themselves out, hoping to avoid collection on that half hour. The collection is paid when a pot is won by someone who is 'in'.

Is it better to be in or out? You tell me.

04-26-2002, 05:21 AM
"Tom means that since he hardly ever wins a pot, his collection is usually paid by someone else. And since I hardly ever lose a pot, that someone is often me."

Exactly. You luckbox. Humph.

"Some players hope to pay the collection every half hour, since that means they won that pot."

Very true. Of course, once it becomes clear to them that their hopes are frequently realized, you would think it would occur to them to opt out of the time pot and pay the $12 flat rate instead. The only reason to participate in the time pot at all is if you are an unlucky stiff like me and you win so few hands that you end up paying (on the average) less than $12 each time.

Tom Weideman

04-26-2002, 06:31 AM

04-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Heck, I might dump pocket aces on a time pot /images/smile.gif

04-28-2002, 12:21 AM
"At the Bellagio, when a new dealer comes to the table, they take $63 (9 players x $7 per player) from the first pot where a flop is taken. So unless you are unlucky enough to win that particular pot, you pay nothing! The Bellagio system favors the tight player"

seriously? it would seem that it favors not just the tight player but also the smart player. i mean why would anyone ever enter this first pot without AA or maybe KK?

04-28-2002, 12:57 PM
"mike l. should play at this limit. His brilliant play would be more successful."

im not sure if youre being serious or sarcastic. and im not sure i want to find out which it is.

04-28-2002, 03:57 PM
well its less than a kill. (in 20/40 if you win 2nd pot they take out 30)

so why would people ever play their second (potential kill) hand?

i dont know either, but at least in a kill you dont lose the full 30 (since if you play pretty good you have some equity there), but still you lose percentage-wise at least as much i guess.

brad

04-28-2002, 09:41 PM