PDA

View Full Version : Brutilized at the final table (a tourny report)

mrbaseball
07-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Friday afternoon Stars $10 rebuy with about 650 entries. I get nothing but rags in the rebuy period and end up rebuying twice and adding on for an investment of $41. After the add on I limp out with a mere T5300 about 2K below average.

The rags contine and continue and continue. I don't have enough to steal with and I am getting nothing playable. About 2 and a half hours in I'm struggling with about T4000. I finally get a free look with a big blind and flop an open ender with an over card. I bet 1/3 of my stack and short stack who has me covered pushes. He has top pair (an 8) and I call and hit my overcard (Q) and double to about T8000 and am still well below average.

I then get moved and have big (50K) stack on my immediate left. Folded to me in the sb with AJo. I push hoping for either a fold or a call /images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't care at this point because its been 2.5 hours and I haven't even seen a pocket pair yet. Big stack thinks for a long time and finally calls with 9To and I double again to about 17K. Still below average though. Very next round its folded to me in the sb again. I have TJs. I consider pushing or raising but with this hand I don't really want a call. So I call. Bingo! Flop comes JT6 rainbow. I check and he bets 1600. I checkraise to 4000. Turn is a blank and I push all in. He calls! He calls with 62o /images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess he thought 3rd pair bottom kicker was gonna be good? Anyway now I'm finally in the game with about T33K and finally above the average stack.

Shortly after this I get moved again. I go into stack building mode and start making a few plays and steals now that I have some ammo. Also the cards start cooperating which is always nice. I grind it up to about 100K over the next hour or so with nothing spectacular happening. Then I take a guy out with KK over JJ and pop up to about 150K and was in 5th place.

I fold AKo on the button to a 3x bb raise. Weak? The raiser was tourny leader with 250K to my 150K and the BB was in second with 240K and very laggish. I just didn't want to tangle with these boys with the final table in sight.

Shortly after this leader comes allin pre flop. I call with AA. He had QQ and all of a sudden I was in first with 330K. We got to two tables and I went on a rush of the Gods. I was catching big pockets and knocking guys out left and right. We get to the final table and I am leading with about 1.1 million and second has about 800K.

This is where is all went to crap. First I call an all in of about 250K with JJ. He had A8o and an ace flopped and I took a survivable hit. Two hands later a stack of about 250K raised to 100K I reraised to 300K to get him all in with 99. He had KQo and a king flopped and I had now pissed away half of my stack. I still had about 550K though and wasn't in big trouble (yet!). The cards turned south and the table got very aggressive. I got nothing even remotely playable for a very long time. And the guy who started in second was running over the table and I couldn't fight back with low crappy cards I was getting. He was raising every hand. He doubled some guys but eventually eliminated them too. We were down to 5. Bully had 2 million+ and everyone else was bleeding. I was down to 300K and finally caught ATo in the bb. I went all in over bullys 200K raise. He had K5o and of course a K flopped and I was out.

Upon reflection I think the JJ hand was an automatic given the situation. The 99 I'm not so sure about? I was almost guarenteed to be up againt at least overcards giving me only a slight edge. The AT was automatic too. I didn't get sucked out on with 2 and 3 tables to go which got me to the final table. But those suckouts at the end really hurt and left me dejected despite having a nice payout and my first final table (other than KOTZs and satelites) in the last 4 weeks. Final tables don't come often enough and I hate it when things turn south with the big payday in grasp. At least my big 3 hands at the final table I was a favorite in all of them. Next time. Yeah, that's the ticket! Next time!

Stoneii
07-31-2004, 10:05 AM
well played - congrats - good reading

stoneii

ilya
07-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the report -- congratulations on your big finish.