PDA

View Full Version : Please rate this push.

parappa
07-31-2004, 08:14 AM
My thinking at the time was that I should push with roughly any 2 in an attempt to make the BB fold, and that if I folded and the BB won the hand, I'd need to double through more than once, and that that put me at a bigger disadvantage than I was at by simply pushing any 2 here. Of course, I thought of all this in like 10 seconds, and it doesn't seem so clear to me in the cold light of day.

So, please tell me what you think.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed)

BB (t1065)
UTG (t2760)
MP (t225)
Button (t3240)
Hero (t710)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls t225 (All-In), Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t710 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t410.

Flop: (t1645) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1645) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1645) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1645

Results in white: <font color="white">Short Stack has As8c, BB has AcQh. I win the hand.</font>

deacsoft
07-31-2004, 11:22 AM
The general idea is that you want at least some chance of making top pair with your short stack all-in hand. I don't like the push. It worked out for you though.

stupidsucker
07-31-2004, 05:22 PM
I think the all in before you makes this a horrible push.

Even if you get the BB to fold then you still have to go HU against the all in. Chances are he has a better hand then you(and he did)

You were lucky that the BB called and lucky you won this hand. The purpose of pushing with any 2 is to buy blinds only. You dont want a showdown at all.

Glad it worked out for you, but I dont reccomend pushing with crap after there is already an all in.. You cant bluff him out of anything.

Jurollo
07-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Bad, Bad, Bad. The big reason it is so bad is exactly what the previous post pointed out that there is an all-in ahead of you. Even though you are getting some folding equity from the BB you are forced HU against at least one person so it negates your thought about wanting to get the BB to fold, the time this may be correct is if it is folded around to you. You still have 2 free hands after this one to double up with a hand better than a 54o.

GoSox
07-31-2004, 08:30 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10.... -3

Of 169 hands you could beat about eight.

Gramps
07-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Think of it this way. If you make BB fold, and MP beats you, you're right back where you started. You put in 75 chips, and get 75 back from the BB that had MP covered...so there's no advantage gained in that regard (i.e. free chips no matter what if BB folds).

54 ain't gonna win unimproved against MP, so getting it HU from that perspective is not an issue. Maybe you pair, MP doesn't pair, and BB would have made a higher pair, etc...but that's not gonna happen too often.

If BB is passive and isn't likely to raise, I don't think it's so bad to pay 150, see a flop, and push if you likey to try to get a good chunk of chips for your small investment, even on your short stack. If you miss, it'll leave you with 560 chips, which means you still have a decent chance of getting it HU preflop on the hand where you make a stand next orbit.

Also no shame in folding and making a stand with 710 next orbit. Plus blinds, you'll get back to decent position if you double up once.

parappa
08-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. The consensus, which I agree with upon further thought, was that this was a pretty obvious stinker.

RPatterson
08-01-2004, 10:58 PM
You is dumb. So duuuumb.