PDA

View Full Version : Canada vs US

47outs
07-31-2004, 07:05 AM
Just after posting a brief defense of Canada in the 'Internet" forum it got me thinking...

Why do you Americans think the US is better than Canada?

This debate should get pretty heated, so Canadians, get your dancing shoes on.

I guess it all starts here... Canada is WAYYY better than the US!

outs

judgesmails
07-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Weather, lower taxes, more economic freedom, better looking chicks, more personal opportunity, higher standard of living, the NFL, Las Vegas ... need I go on?

Canada is fine, I guess. But nothing compares to the States. Nothing.

47outs
07-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Weather - It was 30deg C today here. Thats probaby 90deg F?
Taxes - US poker players pay tax, Canadian Poker players no tax, winner Canada
More economic freedom - I can fly across Canada for under $100CDN. Avg annual salary for Canadian female = $31,000. Not sure about Male, but I'll guess around 40k. Any figures on US averages?
Better looking chicks - wrong, you just have more of them.
US has have more hot chicks but more ugly chicks too! Bigger population!
More Personal Opportunity - Another draw.
Higher standard of living - If you call enormous personal debt a high standard of living then you win.
The NFL - no contest
Las Vegas - no contest

Lets not forget,

Health Care - Canada free, US - you die without insurance.
Crime - Canada rarely. US = crime.
People - Canadians are nice (not everyone). Americans are arrogant (not everyone).
Leaders - George Bush -- mmm donuts; Paul Martin - someone who can actually spell election and win it.

Canada Rocks.

Outs

Glenn
07-31-2004, 08:59 AM
"Health Care - Canada free"

This is a pretty silly statement.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-31-2004, 09:41 AM
The US has a better climate, but I'll take Canadian strip clubs any day.

judgesmails
07-31-2004, 10:32 AM
Weather - what is the mean temp in Canada on Jan 30?
Taxes - what is the tax rate in Canada on income?
Economic Freedom - Where would you want to go in Canada for even a dollar? Alberta? Don't forget to adjust your salary for Canadian dollars or pesos or whatever you are using up there.
Personal Opportunity - Americans have more choices than just zamboni driver or farmer for career paths.
Health Care - Free? That is horribly ignorant to believe.
Crime - true
People - i agree
Leaders - Who is Paul Martin?

Canada is okay. But you can keep it.

PapaSan
07-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Why is the USA better than canada?? How dare you ask such a question, go read michael moore's book "stupid white men" just off the top of my head...
USA is #1 in per capita gun ownership
USA is #1 in # of people in jail
USA is #1 in violent crimes
USA is #1 in consumer waste
What is canada #1 in ??? most igloos?

PapaSan
07-31-2004, 10:55 AM
"More economic freedom - I can fly across Canada for under $100CDN."

Uhhhh does flying across canada to you mean going from chilliwack to kamloops? I paid 300$ to go from van city to toronto and thats not even truly flying across canada. What did u do put a 100$ dollar bill up a goose's ass and grab his tail?
I lived in canada for 27 years and in the u.s of gay for 2 years..then i came to my senses and moved to costa rica.

Mayhap
07-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Don't waste your time with this silly debate when the
Isle of Man RULES! -- TOTALLY!
/M (advocate for the Isle of Man)

daryn
07-31-2004, 01:00 PM
the biggest reason canada sucks compared to the US is the same reason that living in Iowa sucks compared to living in a city like boston, NYC, SF, LA, etc.

Jimbo
07-31-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the biggest reason canada sucks compared to the US is the same reason that living in Iowa sucks compared to living in a city like boston, NYC, SF, LA, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn is correct, more idiots to exploit in the larger cities. If the weather had been more tolerable in Boston I would have styed there for longer than a year and still be fleecing those suckers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

Diplomat
07-31-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Taxes - what is the tax rate in Canada on income?

[/ QUOTE ]

In several cities in the US, the personal tax rate at the top is higher than top Canadian rates. That said, states like Texas and Nevada have much lower rates than Canada. Of course, those states are not exactly the best providers of social services.

[ QUOTE ]

Economic Freedom - Where would you want to go in Canada for even a dollar? Alberta? Don't forget to adjust your salary for Canadian dollars or pesos or whatever you are using up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would I want to go in Canada? You tell me -- a very large percentage of our tourist dollars come from the US. A few things come to mind, such as Whistler, west coast fishing, the rockies, the stampede, Toronto, etc...

I am not sure how your point here is relevant, but I guess it's a response to the previous post.

After adjustments for currency cost of living, etc., Canada still comes out on top. By the way, the Canadian dollar closed at .750835, so it's not exactly a peso.

[ QUOTE ]

Personal Opportunity - Americans have more choices than just zamboni driver or farmer for career paths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute.

[ QUOTE ]

Health Care - Free? That is horribly ignorant to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately you are pretty much correct here. That said, I'd rather be a sick poor person in Vancouver than a sick poor person in Miami.

-Diplomat

Jimbo
07-31-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, states like Texas and Nevada have much lower rates than Canada. Of course, those states are not exactly the best providers of social services.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up the real problem with Canada. More concerned about providing social services than nurturing an economy that is sustained by hard working citizens.

Jimbo

jwvdcw
07-31-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm an American, but I'd seriously consider moving to Canada...I like it a lot there.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-31-2004, 03:30 PM
It doesn't really matter the subject. Or the place. Or time. If you say you're better, we say we're better. Simple as that.

Canada sucks compared to the USA! USA! USA!

Besides, haven't you seen the documentary on canadians on southpark's "bigger longer uncut?"

blame canada!
blame canada!
with their beady little eyes
and their heads all full of lies!
blame canada!
blame canada!
cuz it isn't a real country anyway!

al

dogmeat
07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
In Nevada there is a standard question:

What's the difference between a Canadian and a Canoe? A canoe will tip.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

47outs
07-31-2004, 06:10 PM
You can fly from Halifax to Toronto for $59. Thats over 2000kms. Is that far enough?

outs

M2d
07-31-2004, 08:02 PM
You created Celine Dion, but we made her a star. It's a draw (but we win because we have Hawaii).

Diplomat
07-31-2004, 08:50 PM
No, I think we win, because she's staying down there with you.

-Diplomat

TimTimSalabim
07-31-2004, 09:05 PM
I predict that by this time next year, Canada is going to look really attractive to 18-25 year-old males in the U.S.

jdl22
07-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Better about US:

- money: the Queen's face isn't on our money. This will tip toward Canada if these Reaganites succeed in putting Reagan on a bill

- sports: we have a better national team in basketball, baseball, soccer, track and field (though Perdita Felicien is freaking awesome), and any number of smaller sports. The US is much better in these sports. Canada is only marginally better in Hockey and curling.

- Hawaii: I'm with M2D on this one. Sure the US got it by participating in an overthrow of the government of a sovereign nation and a highly questionable election but it is an amazing place, especially as you get away from tourist traps like Waikiki and into the country.

Malone Brown
07-31-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm Canadian and I'm gonna have to side with the Americans on this issue. Canada is great in many ways, but it's no U.S.of A.
Pam Anderson makes it close though

SmileyEH
07-31-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm Canadian but I go to school in Western Mass. For a person like me (eventually highly educated with excellent career oppourtunities) I would have to say the US is the better choice for me. However, I think Canada is a better country to grow up in with its superior public education and health care system - not to mention much lower crime rate (I think 10 times more americans per capita are killed by guns each year than canadians).

Although New England is hardly representative of much of the US, I have found the people markedly different from Canadians - more driven, aggressive, and yes arrogant. The US is a great country, but Canada will always be home.

Go Leafs!

Duke
07-31-2004, 11:18 PM
The US would kick Canada's ass, and it's not close.

So... define better.

~D

Duke
07-31-2004, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Texas and Nevada have much lower rates than Canada. Of course, those states are not exactly the best providers of social services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Social services?

You're a pinko commie.

~D

Diplomat
08-01-2004, 12:23 AM
You are scared of the black helicopters of the UN, aren't you?

-Diplomat

Sundevils21
08-01-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm Canadian and I'm gonna have to side with the Americans on this issue. Canada is great in many ways, but it's no U.S.of A.
Pam Anderson makes it close though

[/ QUOTE ]

good point about pam. She hasn't been in the news recently has she, I almost completely forgot about her. She needs to "accidentally" let out another sex tape.

nothumb
08-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Where do you go to school? I live in Great Barrington.

New Englanders are hardly ideal Americans as a sample. They are less friendly and almost feudal in many ways. Pretty driven and neurotic, though.

As a single male making under 30k a year I have to say that in Canada I would pay the same taxes, if not less, and have much better social services and (as Kurn pointed out) much better titty bars.

Haven't really spent enough time there to say, though. I'm not too keen on a lot of aspects of America - particularly the rightward tilt of this country politically and the general lack of intellectual rigor or curiosity we as a society posess. But I also know that I am an American, culturally speaking, and being quite set in my ways would probably never feel the same in another country. I might end up preferring another place - perhaps Ireland, possibly a metropolitan area in Canada or some other place I've never been with a lot of expats... but I'm not one of those Americans who won't call it home.

Draft don't scare me; I was raised Quaker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif They can't touch this.

NT

M2d
08-01-2004, 02:36 AM
yeah, but we got to keep Alan Thicke...wait, I'm digging myself deeper, huh?

Diplomat
08-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I'd just stop now if I were you.

-Diplomat

SmileyEH
08-01-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm a rising sophmore at Amherst College.

I love living in Amherst, but the extremely liberal, almost naive attitude that many of the residents possess can be tiresome at times. And yes this is coming from a NDP'er (super democrats for you americans) /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

And as a Canadian saying something nice about the US - my favorite area has got to be North Carolina and Virginia. Beautiful weather, scenery, and friendly people. -SmileyEH

47outs
08-01-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You created Celine Dion, but we made her a star.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, you can keep her.

outs

47outs
08-01-2004, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The US would kick Canada's ass, and it's not close.

So... define better.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

A better place to live. Not a better place to fight in. Who wants to fight anyway?

outs

Duke
08-01-2004, 07:47 AM
We got a red sleigh down, we got a red sleigh down.

I can't move to canada, though, can I? I can't just pick up and become a citizen.

~D

smudgex68
08-01-2004, 10:00 AM
This is hardly a fair fight - it's like calling a sporting event the World Series and only including one or two countries who managed to pick up how to play some bizarre sport.

Let's make it North America vs Europe.

Europe wins - we have football !! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
08-01-2004, 12:35 PM
I havent read all the replies, but I'm american and I think Canada is better. If the weather in Canada didn't suck I prolly would have already moved there (spare me any "the weather in canada isnt that bad" arguments....I live in Arizona, if I can't wear shorts and flip flop sin febuary, then the weather sucks /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

I know quite a few canadians, and they are all open minded easy going people. Contrast that to most americans who are in my opinion close minded Aholes who think their sh*t don't stink just because their parents humped between the imaginary lines on the map that made them american.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. But the fact that canda doesnt have like a billion murders a year, free health care, no tax on gambling income, isn't ruled by a complete and total moron, and canadians can travel the world without being hated everywhere they go, I think it edges America out in the "which is better" catagory.

Alobar
08-01-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and (as Kurn pointed out) much better titty bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I hardly belive is true. From what I hear canada doesn't have full nude titty bars (please correct me if im wrong), and as far as I'm concered if you cant slide a 20 in some girls cooch while shes on stage or come home after several lap dances and find you've got nana juice stains on your t-shirt, then you my friend did not go to a real titty bar!

I've also never heard of a canadian titty bar having live girl on girl penetration on stage, this fact alone makes the american titty bar WAAAAY better, cuz you havent lived until youve seen a girl strap one on and do another girl in real life.

(editors note: I realize most of america doesnt have full nude titty bars, and rare is the place you can watch a penetration show, but the fact that they do exist (the only thing worth mentioning about the sh*t hole that is Texas, heh) makes the USofA superior in this regard)

smudgex68
08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also never heard of a canadian titty bar having live girl on girl penetration on stage, this fact alone makes the american titty bar WAAAAY better, cuz you havent lived until youve seen a girl strap one on and do another girl in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try visiting Amsterdam - Europe wins again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
08-01-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You should try visiting Amsterdam - Europe wins again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, good point. But I think the fact that we have deoderant in north america (and use it /images/graemlins/wink.gif) and we are smart enough to realize that soccer is the most boring sport in the world (the only sport I would watch soccer over is womens golf, heh) still makes Europe 2nd best /images/graemlins/smile.gif

smudgex68
08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, good point. But I think the fact that we have deoderant in north america (and use it ) and we are smart enough to realize that soccer is the most boring sport in the world (the only sport I would watch soccer over is womens golf, heh) still makes Europe 2nd best

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you got me good here with this reply. You're right the North Americans are cooler than the Europeans

nothumb
08-01-2004, 02:27 PM
I think soccer's a cool game and it's actually rising in popularity in this country. Which is good, cause it means we get a little respect in the sporting event most of the world thinks is the coolest ever. Our women's team is sick, too.

In Montreal you can have full nude with no touching or you can have 'dance contacte' with the stripper wearing a g-string and you get to touch her anywhere you see skin. /images/graemlins/blush.gif It's almost considered impolite if you don't fondle the boobies a bit.

At least, this is how it was last I heard.

NT

Malone Brown
08-01-2004, 03:59 PM
this is not true...we have full nudity in Canadian titty bars and in Quebec, full contact (you can touch all you want just no penetration). So next time you come here insulting our titty bars, I suggest you get your facts straight good sir, good day /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Malone

smudgex68
08-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Fair point. However, the Canadians are very close to the French, and have often intermingled. I know foor a fact that French women have relatively small breasts.

sin808
08-01-2004, 04:22 PM
well, I work at the border, so I have regular contact with ppl from both sides....I like canada, I just don't like the way most of you drive, though I guess I could say the same about americans too. If Bush is re-elected I'll be moving there for sure though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
08-01-2004, 04:36 PM
hey, if you're interested in cash games check out www.umasspoker.com (http://www.umasspoker.com)

i hate liberal amherst too.

crazy canuck
08-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Can't argue with some of your points but....

lower taxes

I don't mind paying higher taxes since we have free health care and lower university tuition.

more economic freedom

I don't know what you mean by economic freedom, but a more developed and mature econmy means less business opportunities. As for your personal freedom: think about the patriot act. Also, judging by prescription medication costs, and the kazza lawsuit companies seem to have more power than average people.

better looking chicks

I hope you're kidding. 1/3 of them are overweight...unless that's what you're into. Playboy sales jump by 15%-20% when a candian chick is on the cover.

higher standard of living

On average yes. But you also have a huge gap between the standard of living of the rich and the poor. This might be one of the causes of the higher US crime rate.

billyofthehills
08-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey Smiley,
I'm a recent grad from Amherst, I didn't realize there was more than one of us on this board.

Alobar
08-01-2004, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is not true...we have full nudity in Canadian titty bars and in Quebec, full contact (you can touch all you want just no penetration). So next time you come here insulting our titty bars, I suggest you get your facts straight good sir, good day /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Malone

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected!

47outs
08-01-2004, 09:28 PM
You are way wrong. They have 3 of these titty bars in my town alone. Full lapdances where you can have a 'taste'. Girl on girl with you in the middle. They dont use dildos but they use their tongues. People come from all over the States to visit these titty bars.

outs

moondogg
08-01-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who wants to fight anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

People who would lose. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

crazy canuck
08-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Canada is WAYYY better than the US!

This is why: BC pot! But god dammit Amsterdam is even better (just like the strip clubs).

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/smoker.gif

jdl22
08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Somebody told me it trades ounce for ounce with cocaine, is that true?

47outs
08-02-2004, 07:35 AM
No.

outs

SmileyEH
08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Love the avatar Crazy Canuck. Obviously the real reason we are better than the US is Trailer Park Boys. Bubbles is the man!

-SmileyEH

M2d
08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Kona isn't called the "Gold Coast" because of the coffee.

Diplomat
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes and no. No it doesn't when sold in Canada, but yes it does when it's sold in NYC.

Err...or so I've heard, heh.

-Diplomat

crazy canuck
08-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Love the avatar Crazy Canuck. Obviously the real reason we are better than the US is Trailer Park Boys. Bubbles is the man!

Haha. You sure got it right /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Leave it to a Canadian city to have the largest Italian population outside Italy.

Lord, I love pizza. There's a great place on Eglinton called Monte Carlo - they make real old school thin crust italian pizza, not that Dominos [censored] you guys get and roll up and dip in garlic sauce and stuff your fat American faces.

I await return fire.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Wayne Gretzky builds our Olympic team.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
It's a draw (but we win because we have Hawaii).

Rumours abound (to be honest, I think it was even Diplomat that told me) that Canada is in the process of acquiring Caribbean Islands to reduce the number of Canadian snowbirds (Christmas vacationers) in Florida.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
My buddy's family owns theBrass Rail (http://www.brassrailtavern.com/), the #1 club in downtown Toronto.

PM me if you ever go, you'll get taken care of.

That goes for any of you who don't get snarky.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:06 AM
And yes this is coming from a NDP'er

Commie!

M2d
08-03-2004, 10:21 AM
try some of the old style places in NYC or SF if you like the thin style. Chicago if you like thick.
Does Monte Carlo serve Moosec*ck toppings?

M2d
08-03-2004, 10:21 AM
we don't use words like "snarky"=)

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
we don't use words like "snarky"=)

You are hereby barred from the Brass Rail. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Does Monte Carlo serve Moosec*ck toppings?

American food culture in 6 words or less:

"Would you like fries with that?"

M2d
08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
In the words of an 80's US icon (Garfield)

"Deep fry that sucker!!"

astroglide
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
the weather's pretty much the only thing stopping me. progressive social views (drugs etc), health care, less crime, nicer people, smarter government, the world doesn't hate you, no taxes on poker.

what is the warmest big city in canada?

Diplomat
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Sweet. Complementary stabbing included?

-Diplomat

Diplomat
08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I don't think it was me that told you, but I know there were rumours of Canada picking up something in the Caribbean a while back...I'll get back to you on that one.

-Diplomat

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 12:44 PM
It's the same buddy who met you at GBH.

We don't sit downstairs with the peons or even in the Upper Brass with the slightly wealthier peons.

We sit in the mezzanine, a small bar room for VIPs (maybe 30 cap) upstairs in the back where the strippers hang out (naked) before and after their sets and we sit around talking and drinking with them. Usually after the bar closes we go and hang out at one of their apartments, and they seem to enjoy the same atmosphere at home as at work.

So no. No stabbings.

Gamblor
08-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Vancouver is basically Seattle.

Calgary gets Chinook winds which somehow warm the usual 15F temp up to 40-45F. (google chinook)

Toronto averages 25F in the coldest months (Dec-Feb) and 85F in the warmest (Jul-Sept).

Diplomat
08-03-2004, 01:32 PM
It depends. Toronto is HOT; DAMN HOT! In the summer (upwards of 110 degrees in the summer, with the humidity) but quite cold in the winter (As cold as about 0, or so). Vancouver is much more moderate, with lows of about 25 and highs around 90, but more rain.

-Diplomat

Diplomat
08-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Damnit, I was looking for a stabbing. I guess hanging out with strippers up top will have to do... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Diplomat

MarkD
08-03-2004, 02:36 PM
But Calgary gets to -40 as well. It is a great city though.

I would suspect Vancouver / Victoria are the warmest year round cities. Maybe Kamloops?

Diplomat
08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Keep in mind that these numbers are in celcius:

"For the top hot spots (highest annual average temperature °C), ten of the eleven warmest cities are in British Columbia. Only Windsor ON in 8th place is from outside the province. Chilliwack BC garnered top honours as the warmest city (10.5°), followed by Vancouver (10.1°), Abbotsford BC (10.0°), Nanaimo BC (9.8°) and Victoria (9.7°)."

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/highlights-e.html

So, Vancouver has an average temperature of about 51 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Diplomat

Cry Me A River
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rumours abound (to be honest, I think it was even Diplomat that told me) that Canada is in the process of acquiring Caribbean Islands to reduce the number of Canadian snowbirds (Christmas vacationers) in Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Turks and Caicos Islands. It's pretty much a dead issue though the Reform party may be trying to revive it:

http://www.aplaceinthesun.ca/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/turksandcaicos/